Release Cadence - Shipping is hard

  • Ryan Cromwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4 2:01 PM
      The current information and data available to organizations contemplating Scrum, Agile, Kanban, XP, etc. have grown very stale.  For the most part, the same practices, frameworks, methodologies and trends show up year after year with little exception.  The question is no longer if Agile is the place to be, but how to get there.  I think we are in need of an evolution in our discussion of Agile.

      In recent years, we've seen examples of different, often very frequent, deployment cadences as a competitive advantage. Working incrementally and iteratively is one thing - convincing leaders to validate assumptions accumulated over the course of iterations turns out to be quite another.  The question for each team becomes what is appropriate and how do we have this conversation with empirical rather than anecdotal evidence?

      Today I opened the Release Cadence Report survey to move the needle towards what I hope is a more useful conversation than the state of Agile.  The report will be publish freely so that everyone can look at the relationship between Release Cadence and things like Market Capability, Employee Satisfaction, Patterns & Techniques used to achieve the cadence, Methodologies, and more.  With it, I hope that we can start talking about how companies have navigated their way to successful products as opposed to iterated their way towards challenged projects.

      You can fill out the survey at http://releasecadencereport.com/survey.

      ps. I hope this message is acceptable to the list.  I'm a coder by trade and simple want to stop arguing with customers over 20 iteration minimum viable products :)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21 2:38 PM
        I just want to give a big giant +++++++++1 to this effort.

        I think what Ryan is doing here is awesome.  I get pinged about doing a lot of Agile surveys, and I usually don't have the time, but this one is different.  It only took me about 5 minutes and I think the results are going to be incredible..

        I highly recommend it!

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        Scrum Coach-in-Chief