Re: release planning

  • Ryan Cromwell
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4, 2013
      And since now they know about the cone of uncertainty they won't have any misguided understandings about it's accuracy.  Given a large enough estimate, your bound to be within the margin of error.

      If they still feel the return will be worth it... now the team get's it's short at continually providing updated estimate ranges based on rubber & road.
    • Nirmala Jegadheesan
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2013
        I agree, the most uncertain, seemingly infinite task is "Relase planning" but keep in mind you need not "COMPLETE" it in first sitting. Make large stories, do 3 times the estimate and finish it soon. When working on sprint planning you can me more elaborate and accurate.
        All the best!
        Regards,
        Nirmala

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 6, 2013

          I also have some colleagues who are giving an Agile BI class in early April in the Washington, DC area.  If you are interested, take a look at http://agile-bi-dc.eventbrite.com/

          Good luck,
          ------------------------------
          Richard K Cheng, CST, PMP, PMI-ACP
          Principal & Agile Center of Excellence, Lead
          Excella Consulting
          richard.cheng@...
          703-967-8620
          twitter: @RichardKCheng

          From: Mark Levison <mark@...>
          Date: Monday, March 4, 2013 5:06 PM
          To: "scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com" <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum in Data Warehousing?

          Ken Collier who I know through Cutter has done some work with clients on this. At one stage he threatened to write a book on it.

          Cheers
          Mark

          Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach wrote:

          I have a client who is considering using Scrum in Data Warehousing(I won't be involved in that).  He knows how to use Google, but I was wondering if anyone had any *highly recommended resources*  for using Scrum in DW(books, blogs, ec).  He is fully aware of the Hughes book(which got a negative review from someone I trust), and I also have some info on Scott Ambler's work in this area.

          Anything else that you would *highly recommend*?

          -------
          Charles Bradley
          Scrum Coach-in-Chief
          ScrumCrazy.com

          --
          Cheers
          Mark Levison

        • Richard Griffiths
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 6, 2013

            All

            Interesting epic sizing meeting with the team today. We did relative sizing and then assigned them t-shirt values. Then we assigned them points based on planning poker multiplied by 10. Now I know there’s a chance of gaming the values, but some of the epics point sizes matched quite well with previous equivalent epics. The problem arose with larger epic sizes, which was unsurprising due to complexity and some of them being mixed buckets of work. A good first pass, giving us plenty of time to review the epics, split and start grooming the stories. The fact that stakeholders will probably have a heart attack is another matter.

            I’d be interested to see if people think it is worth sizing epics at the t-shirt level and then trying to map story points to them? I’ll be doing the same tomorrow with a more established team so will be interested to see the difference.

            --

            Richard

            Speed is n0 subsitute fnor accurancy

          • Gary Brown
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 6, 2013
              Quoting Richard Griffiths <richard@...>:

              > Speed is n0 subsitute fnor accurancy

              From a much different context:

              Fast is fine, accuracy is final.
              - Wyatt Earp

              8^)

              GB.

            • Kevin Callahan
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2013
                I guess it depends what you're hoping to gain by spending time sizing epics? I'll also say that release planning has been one of the most difficult organizational problems to solve. One option, and this is at risk of hijacking the thread, is to ask a different question: what is the minimum we can do right now to push value out the door?

                The teams I work with have seen a lot of value in just-in-time estimation; as long as the next sprint's work is prioritized, groomed, and estimated, there's not a tremendous amount of effort put into additional stories. Lean has deeply influenced my thinking on this, particularly the emphasis on eliminating time delays between story state changes; I realize this is not universal, and varies greatly depending where an app is in its lifecycle, among a whole slew of other important variables.

                In short, from your message it *seems* like maybe there's a bit too much planning, and perhaps not enough stakeholder involvement, to be able to clearly prioritize exactly what is next, and then break only that part down. Stakeholders *should* be excited and eager that their needs are being met, though if there's not alignment at the stakeholder level, well, that's another issue ;)

                Hope that helps…

                -k

                On Mar 6, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Richard Griffiths wrote:

[...]

                Kevin Callahan
                Scrum Master & Agile Coach
                LiveWorld Inc.

                Mobile+1 (207) 691-2997