Synchronicity - lunch with the VP

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2004
      So, I posted my speculative question about an "elevator speech" to the
      CxO last weekend. Within days, I had an invitation to a "pizza lunch
      with the VP". No kidding! I'm new in this company - from the way the
      message is worded, it seems this happens a couple of times a year -
      it's a general invitation to his division.

      To summarise my situation: a lovely mix of Plan-driven with some
      poorly-supported Agile and XP practices, throw in MDA... to put it
      positively: lots of opportunities to improve discipline and agility
      and to reduce chaos :-) We're at the point of planning the next
      release, and I don't see any evidence of inspect-and-adapt... and I'm
      weary of overtime. It would be nice to deliver quality, too.

      I don't get to see how much info reaches the VP - I've been in places
      before where the sanitized data getting up that far made everything
      look rosy. I don't want to be memorable for whining - and I don't plan
      to rat out our manager. But I'd like to plant some seeds, because I
      hear he's a reasonable guy.

      So, I'm thinking: should I start by asking some questions? How can I
      find out where *he* thinks we need improvement? We often talk about
      how our suggestions fall on fertile ground, when we aim it where the
      greatest (percieved) pain is. So I need to find out where he thinks
      the department "hurts". How could I approach it so he is interested to
      talk about it? Or perhaps the mention of an interesting published
      article might be a good trigger. Perhaps some of you have had a
      similar opportunity lately?

      I'm working on my approach, but the more the merrier: your input is
      welcome, on or off list. Lunch is on Wednesday, east coast time. I'd
      better think fast!

      deb
    • Mike Dwyer
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2004
        Deb:
        Here is, for what it's worth, an approach that has had some success.

        1. Do you know what the VP's Goal Commitments are? That is to say what
        he has committed to or what he is on the line for. If you do not this is a
        good place to find out what you can do to help him hit the target.

        2. Can you draw a line between anything you mentioned here and items
        that are impediments to his success? Don't stretch for this it is either
        there or it is not.

        3. Is there anything you are working on or can commit to delivering
        that will contribute to removing an impediment?

        4. Can you structure the conversation so that he asks you to take a
        shot at delivering this.

        Please borrow my 6 closest allies for doing this work

        "I Keep six faithful serving-men
        Who serve me well and true:
        Their names are What and Where and When
        And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

        I find that they are well received at any gathering when introduced by
        "Help me catch up here."

        Michael F. Dwyer

        Mike.Dwyer1@...

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Stefan Ahrensdorf
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2004
          Hi Deb,

          I in your shoes I first would be curious about some really basic things, for example
          * what is his visibilty into what's going on in the department
          * how does he track/measure the department
          * what is it he doesn't know but would like to

          I recently learned that in my company for the last two year progress on 30 projects in a 55 people department was condensed onto 6 PPT slides (probably including the title and the "Questions?" one), presented every 6 months. The C level folks had no visibility whatsoever into what's going on in the department.

          So j
          umping to "where *he* thinks we need improvement" might mean getting way ahead of yourself.

          hth
          Stefan

        • Deb
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2004
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dwyer"
            <mike.dwyer1@c...> wrote:
            > Deb:
            > Here is, for what it's worth, an approach that has had some success.
            >
            > 1. Do you know what the VP's Goal Commitments are? That is to say what
            > he has committed to or what he is on the line for. If you do not
            this is a
            > good place to find out what you can do to help him hit the target.

            We were bombarded a few weeks ago with a webinar composed of
            unreadably small powerpoint graphs and an unintelligible international
            conference call... apparently it outlined responsibilities and goals
            for our reorg'd organisation. (I left halfway thru. Couldn't hear,
            couldn't see... time could be better spent!) But I believe the slides
            must be somewhere on the intranet... I will look them up tomorrow,
            thanks for this good hint. Then I'll consider your subsequent questions.

            > Please borrow my 6 closest allies for doing this work
            >
            > "I Keep six faithful serving-men
            > Who serve me well and true:
            > Their names are What and Where and When
            > And How and Why and Who." - Kipling
            >
            > I find that they are well received at any gathering when introduced by
            > "Help me catch up here."

            good advice. Thanks

            > Michael F. Dwyer
            >
            > Mike.Dwyer1@c...

          • Michel
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 8, 2004
              Hi there,

              My first advice would be to document yourself with the mission of
              that VP, What are the goals of his section and the one of the
              company. Orient your answer toward those goals.

              Then, try to avoid any "buzz word" like Scrum, Agile, XP, etc. They
              are mostly meaningless to a VP in general. Instead try to explain
              what they do: Improve team productivity, reduce risk, etc.

              Finally, don't be intrusive or too aggressive toward the management.
              Remember that they need us as much as we need theme. They might have
              vision and objectives, but WE provide the power and expertise to meet
              them.

              Good luck.
            • Deb
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 8, 2004
                Well, today was the day! We were all a litte disappointed that the VP
                didn't show up until we were almost finished our pizza... finally he
                arrived and kicked off the meeting. It was not the casual
                mix-and-mingle I'd hoped for, but rather a round-table of a dozen
                relatively new people. I introduced myself, managing to get in the
                words "passionate about iterative development", which drew a nod from
                him (from his introduction, I could tell he's got a technical
                background and is interested in these things).

                There was no opportunity to chat in small groups, but rather we
                introduced ourselves around the table, then he asked "anyone have any
                questions?" I'm glad I prepared: just having a question distinguished
                me from the others who were pretty much ready to leave...

                So I asked "I'm assuming you don't know *everything* we do in detail
                ('good assumption', he laughed), so how do you track our work?" In
                addition to the usual management feedback mechanisms, he talked about
                gathering information casually from workers in various teams. I asked
                whether there is a formal mechanism for getting input from team
                members, and he talked about an end-of-iteration retrospective (which
                I've heard is a bit of a farce, so far).

                Then: "...What do you see as our biggest challenge in producing this
                new (software) product?" Unfortunately, the answer I received was more
                marketing than collaboration: everything is just fine, and here's why.
                Well, perhaps there will be another opportunity to ask this question
                in a more focused way. I was fishing for "where does it hurt". I think
                it might not hurt anywhere (yet) - a red flag for me.

                But he closed the hour with an open-door invitation to drop by his
                office, which is what I was looking for. It's more than I've got from
                my own boss.

                This was an interesting exercise. As this 3-month milestone draws to a
                close, I'm definitely thinking about key provocative questions that
                need to be asked - mainly about risk and responsiveness, I think. I've
                just started Coplien's "Org Patterns" and I see that I tend to be the
                "Wise Fool" who publicly asks questions that others only mutter over
                lunch at the pub. I'll be looking for the reaction the questions
                garner: looking for allies, red flags, opportunities. Well, I won't be
                bored!

                Thanks to those who took the time to give me input. Stay tuned - who
                knows what may happen? (I'd better get my resume ready, too :-)

                ciao
                deb

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deborah@h...> wrote:

                > So, I posted my speculative question about an "elevator speech" to the
                > CxO last weekend. Within days, I had an invitation to a "pizza lunch
                > with the VP". No kidding! I'm new in this company - from the way the
                > message is worded, it seems this happens a couple of times a year -
                > it's a general invitation to his division.
                >
                > To summarise my situation: a lovely mix of Plan-driven with some
                > poorly-supported Agile and XP practices, throw in MDA... to put it
                > positively: lots of opportunities to improve discipline and agility
                > and to reduce chaos :-) We're at the point of planning the next
                > release, and I don't see any evidence of inspect-and-adapt... and I'm
                > weary of overtime. It would be nice to deliver quality, too.
                >
                > I don't get to see how much info reaches the VP - I've been in places
                > before where the sanitized data getting up that far made everything
                > look rosy. I don't want to be memorable for whining - and I don't plan
                > to rat out our manager. But I'd like to plant some seeds, because I
                > hear he's a reasonable guy.
                >
                > So, I'm thinking: should I start by asking some questions? How can I
                > find out where *he* thinks we need improvement? We often talk about
                > how our suggestions fall on fertile ground, when we aim it where the
                > greatest (percieved) pain is. So I need to find out where he thinks
                > the department "hurts". How could I approach it so he is interested to
                > talk about it? Or perhaps the mention of an interesting published
                > article might be a good trigger. Perhaps some of you have had a
                > similar opportunity lately?
                >
                > I'm working on my approach, but the more the merrier: your input is
                > welcome, on or off list. Lunch is on Wednesday, east coast time. I'd
                > better think fast!
                >
                > deb
              • Stephen Haberman
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 8, 2004
                  > But he closed the hour with an open-door invitation to drop by his
                  > office, which is what I was looking for.

                  Very cool.

                  > This was an interesting exercise. As this 3-month milestone draws to a
                  > close, I'm definitely thinking about key provocative questions that
                  > need to be asked - mainly about risk and responsiveness, I think. I've
                  > just started Coplien's "Org Patterns" and I see that I tend to be the
                  > "Wise Fool" who publicly asks questions that others only mutter over
                  > lunch at the pub.

                  Hehe, interesting. I think I do the same thing but I'm always being told I
                  need to keep quiet during political situations because of it. I should pick
                  up Coplien's book and make sure I'm doing the "wise" part. :-)

                  > Thanks to those who took the time to give me input. Stay tuned - who
                  > knows what may happen? (I'd better get my resume ready, too :-)

                  Kudos on being prepared. And thanks for the report, it was well written up
                  and very interesting to hear. Good luck once you go through the door. :-)

                  - Stephen
                • Deb
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Haberman"
                    <stephenh@c...> wrote:

                    > > Deborah wrote:
                    > > I see that I tend to be the
                    > > "Wise Fool" who publicly asks questions that others only mutter over
                    > > lunch at the pub.
                    >
                    > Hehe, interesting. I think I do the same thing but I'm always being
                    told I
                    > need to keep quiet during political situations because of it. I
                    should pick
                    > up Coplien's book and make sure I'm doing the "wise" part. :-)

                    Lol, the book says that what you describe is the standard response to
                    the WiseFool. There are similar roles: but PublicPersona (who is more
                    well received) focuses outward from the team, whereas WiseFool focuses
                    inward on team dynamics, process, etc. One thing I look for when I
                    interview is WiseFool Tolerance. I have it here from my team lead...
                    still testing out my PM though :-)

                    Interestingly - at my last job it was fostered by my PM (a great
                    working relationship) but not appreciated by the next level up. My
                    observation: tolerance is not enough - the person who supports you
                    within the team must also back you up outside the team - and
                    conversely, the WiseFool should probably learn not to make life
                    difficult for that supporting person by directing their Foolery
                    outside the team. Or do it verrry carefully, and with support.

                    The book also says that organisations that tolerate or foster WiseFool
                    input make fewer mistakes etc. Take note, ScrumMasters! An
                    interesting read, for sure.

                    deb
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                      Good report, mostly good news.

                      On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, at 7:21:48 PM, Deb wrote:

                      > But he closed the hour with an open-door invitation to drop by his
                      > office, which is what I was looking for. It's more than I've got from
                      > my own boss.

                      A word of caution, probably unnecessary: if your own boss is not an
                      open-door person, there's a good chance s/he won't appreciate a
                      person's going upstairs.

                      Agility is not an inescapable law of purity
                      but a pragmatic principle of effectiveness. -- Marc Hamann
                    • Michael Bannen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                        Message
                        I just picked this book up last night.
                        Curious if anyone had read / reviewed?
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                          On Thursday, December 9, 2004, at 9:03:14 AM, Michael Bannen wrote:

                          > I just picked this book up last night.
                          > Curious if anyone had read / reviewed?

                          I like it a lot. Haven't written a review yet.

                          Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
                          always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can
                          become great." -- Mark Twain.
                        • Michael Spayd
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                            I wrote a short review on Amazon, and I will be writing one for the
                            Agile Times. Similar to Ron, I think it is a very good book and can
                            highly recommend it to others. Let us know what you think.

                            Michael (Spayd)

                            On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:03:14 -0600, Michael Bannen <mbannen@...> wrote:

                            > I just picked this book up last night.
                            > Curious if anyone had read / reviewed?

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Michael K. Spayd
                            COGILITY, LLC
                            "Business Mind, Social Heart"
                            michael.spayd@...
                            720.300.5286
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                              On Thursday, December 9, 2004, at 10:01:41 AM, Michael Spayd wrote:

                              > I wrote a short review on Amazon, and I will be writing one for the
                              > Agile Times. Similar to Ron, I think it is a very good book and can
                              > highly recommend it to others. Let us know what you think.

                              This reminds me of a famous ambiguous review:

                              "I cannot recommend this book too highly."

                              In this case, though, it's a darn good book.

                              The work teaches us. -- Richard Gabriel
                            • mbannen@topminds.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                                Another famous book review, not so nice, book review.

                                "The covers of this book are too far apart."

                                > This reminds me of a famous ambiguous review:
                                >
                                > "I cannot recommend this book too highly."
                                >
                                > In this case, though, it's a darn good book.
                                >
                                > Ron Jeffries
                                > www.XProgramming.com
                                > The work teaches us. -- Richard Gabriel

                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                > Get unlimited calls to
                                > U.S./Canada
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Hubert Smits
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                                  I skimmed it, very good book, practical content, well organised.

                                  --Hubert

                                  On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 15:23:34 -0000 (GMT), mbannen@...
                                  <mbannen@...> wrote:

                                  > Another famous book review, not so nice, book review.
                                  >
                                  > "The covers of this book are too far apart."
                                  >

                                  > > This reminds me of a famous ambiguous review:
                                  > >
                                  > > "I cannot recommend this book too highly."
                                  > >
                                  > > In this case, though, it's a darn good book.
                                  > >
                                  > > Ron Jeffries
                                  > > www.XProgramming.com
                                  > > The work teaches us. -- Richard Gabriel

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  > > Get unlimited calls to
                                  > > U.S./Canada
                                  >

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Michael Vizdos
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                                    Hi Deb,

                                    Congrats on getting that far with the VP.  Now the next step is to actually make an appointment with the VP instead of just "dropping by" -- this should get you better access and shows you care about how each of your available time during the day is spent.

                                    I do not know the size of your organization (because sometimes this is "scary"), but one of the questions I *love* asking people is "where does it hurt" -- then, let that person TALK and perform ACTIVE listening; you may get an answer different in person than in a group setting (if the VP gets up and closes the door, this is a good sign he is willing to talk!).

                                    This will set you apart from your peers and who knows where that question can lead you.  If you are worried about getting a resume ready, then is this *really* an organization where you'd *choose* to stay?

                                    - mike V.

> [...]

                                    because I
                                    > hear he's a reasonable guy.
                                    >
                                    > So, I'm thinking:
                                    should I start by asking some questions? How can I
                                    > find out where *he*
                                    thinks we need improvement? We often talk about
                                    > how our suggestions fall
                                    on fertile ground, when we aim it where the
                                    > greatest (percieved) pain
                                    is. So I need to find out where he thinks
                                    > the department "hurts". How
                                    could I approach it so he is interested to
                                    > talk about it? Or perhaps the
                                    mention of an interesting published
                                    > article might be a good trigger.
                                    Perhaps some of you have had a
                                    > similar opportunity lately?
                                    >
                                    > I'm working on my approach, but the more the merrier: your input
                                    is
                                    > welcome, on or off list. Lunch is on Wednesday, east coast time.

                                    deb

                                  • Deb
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                                      <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:

                                      > A word of caution, probably unnecessary: if your own boss is not an
                                      > open-door person, there's a good chance s/he won't appreciate a
                                      > person's going upstairs.
                                      >
                                      > Ron Jeffries

                                      Yes. And I don't know her well enough to have even a gut feeling about
                                      her response to this. So I need to be careful what I address and how -
                                      it's not something I'm going to do lightly. I'd like to find an
                                      approach that does not tread on my PM's territory, directly.
                                      (Shouldn't be TOO hard - if it's not about e-time or MS-Project, I'm
                                      probably safe :-)

                                      Thanks Ron.