Request for reference/reading material - Developer Stories

  • Michael Wollin
    Message 1 of 107 , Feb 21, 2013
      I'm coaching a team while at the same time acting for the time being as Daily Product Owner. I refactored the backlog to eliminate all "engineering stories" and use a vertical slice tracer bullet approach to adding more and more business value over time. Each story adds more functionality “vertically,” adding one control or feature to the UI, the REST API calls to implement the feature, and the server side to do the work.

      For example: As a Media Coordinator, I want to be able to start and stop a recording of an incoming video feed. As a Media Coordinator, I want to choose the input source of the recording. And so on.

      Then I got the flu. When I came back, I found the following proposed (unvetted) story in the backlog:

      "As a developer, I want to remove technical debt and improve test coverage before moving on to the next milestone."

      After doing some deep breathing and relaxation techniques, I went to the story workshop meeting with a coach's mind, looking for how to get the team to inquire what would cause the need for such a story, what the costs are, and, for that matter, what happened to their commitment and genuine enthusiasm for their definition of done (and what might need to be refined there).

      By and large it went well.

      During the conversation, I quoted from memory something Ron once said, I think. It went something like this: I paid you for stories you said were done. Now you say they were not done. But I've already paid you for them, so why should I pay you again?

      Anyway, if there is such a formulation, can someone point me to it? Also, please point me to a good blog discussion or article that I can share with the team to reinforce the coaching on this point.

      Thanks!

      Michael
    • A Narasimhan
      Message 107 of 107 , Apr 21, 2013
        Thanks a lot, George.
        Rgds-AN

        Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:55 PM
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] CONCERN: over continuing Schisming/Fragmentation of Scrum & Agile

        AN,

        On 4/20/13 10:16 AM, A Narasimhan wrote:

        > Hi:
        > Recently there was a mail on Agile Scaling by Ron Jeffries which went
        > something
        > like this:
        > ‘Collaboration works in a team but not so much in a building...’ etc.
        > There were several points covered in that mail on scaling. I somehow
        > deleted that mail.
        > Can someone re-send the mail please...You could also send it to my
        > personal mail
        > mailto:an.narasimhan%40yahoo.co.in <mailto:mailto:an.narasimhan%40yahoo.co.in>
        > Rgds-AN

        Every email has a trailer that includes:

        > Visit Your Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scrumdevelopment

        You can go there to search for messages.

        - George