Re: [scrumdevelopment] no more work left in a sprint

  • Otis Bricker
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2013
      I am no expert and many others have made some good suggestions. I would tend towards option a though it might be a problem to get folks to an early Sprint Demo for us.

      But if you are REALLY done a significant amount early, you might invest a minimal amount of time in looking into WHY this happened. I didn't see a sprint length mentioned. 2 days on a 30 day sprint( call it 21 working days?) is not that big a difference unless it happens all the time. ON a two week sprint, it is starting to be a major chunk of time.

      Why did you finish early? Was it that all the stories were 5's only because you couldn't call them 4s(1,2,3,5,,8...)?  Not sure the best way to handle that.

      Was there some design change made earlier than is making a class of stories easier than the current estimates suggest? If so, maybe you should re-estimate any other stories this will affect.

      Was there less Vacation/sick time used in this sprint? Again, Not sure the best way to handle that. We tend to add one 'stretch' story to sprints that we have minimal vacation scheduled in. But  I am sure others here will tell you why this is a BAD idea(lack of commitment?).

      Did people just hit 'the zone' this sprint? Maybe you should assume that the team has found its next gear and raise your SPs for the next sprint.

      Did one story in particular take a lot less time? Did you think of a new way to implement it that would have changed the estimate if found earlier? Great. Better late than never. Don't change what you are doing except maybe thinking about more options when estimating the stories. Otherwise, maybe a quick discussion on why this story was estimated too high to help prevent it from happening again.

      I wish I had your problems!

       On 2/11/2013 11:23 AM, Christof Zahn wrote:
      hi group,
      this is my first topic in that fabulous discussion group! I'm so excited! :)

      Here's my question:
      We're now almost at the end of a sprint. There are 4 day left. When we take a look at our burndown chart, the forecast says we will finish the sprint two days earlier than planned.
      There is no more work left in the sprint backlog.

      So, what would you do, if the work will finish earlier?
      a) Stop/Finish the sprint, make the review and start into the next sprint?
      b) Add some more work from the product backlog that fit into these 2 days?
      c) Let the developer do something totally different?

      I look forward to your reply

      regards,
      christof