Re: [scrumdevelopment] Industry standard Story Complexity Points

  • Bret Wortman
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
      This is kind of like saying "industry standard measures of sugar" when making a recipe. Are you talking about teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, ounces by volume, ounces by weight, pounds, or...?

      Sure we all put two of them in our chocolate chip cookie recipe, so they're "industry standard". Of course, my recipe feeds my family and yours feeds a batallion of hungry marines. But they're both "two industry standard measures of sugar" by that logic, right?

      On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Jesse Houwing <jesse.houwing@...> wrote:

      Never heard of this specific thing, but I think the complexity is a hint towards Function Points or another variation where the number of screens, validations, inputs, algorithms, external connectors is added up, each with a standard number or factor.

      This methodology was practiced at a previous employer of mine. The velocity in Function Points would be measured by technology group and this is how they figured out it was quicker and thus cheaper to build similar applications in Function Points by a .NET team than by a Java team. These numbers were also used to calculate the magic number for teams at customers and teams of competitors by comparing actual hours to a function point assessment after the fact. That way they could sell that they'd have built said application x% cheaper.

      We did a team estimation for all of these functions and features as well and generally just ignored the number, they were kept for statistical purposes and were constantly adjusted by people who care deeply about these statistics and lies. A few friends of mine still believe in these magic numbers explicitly :).

      Fair to say I no longer work for them :D.

      Jesse

      On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Butch <cragos@...> wrote:
      I have a potential client that is saying they have created a backlog and that each Sprint is generally 40 industry standard Story Complexity Points.

      I've never heard of industry standard Story Complexity Points before?  I'm also not accepting of someone else telling me and my team how many story points are assigned to each user story and how many of these we need to complete per sprint.  Especially since we haven't even see the stories yet.

      Has anyone ever heard of "industry standard Story Complexity Points"?

      Thanks,

      Steve

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
    • Kevin Callahan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
        probably the most valuable part of the response as far as the actual result of such metrics  :)

        -k

        On Feb 12, 2013, at 9:00 AM, Jesse Houwing wrote:

        Fair to say I no longer work for them :D.

        Kevin Callahan
        Scrum Master & Agile Coach
        LiveWorld Inc.

        Mobile+1 (207) 691-2997