Re: [scrumdevelopment] calculate velocity

  • Alan Dayley
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 11, 2013
      Velocity is the number of points the team completes in a sprint. It is usually a rolling average for the last 3-5 prints of points completed in each sprint.

      There are a number of very good reasons the velocity is not hours.  There are a number of very good reasons the velocity is not a day-to-day measure.

      The sprint burndown is usually in hours remaining. It is an indicator to have conversations about how the sprint is progressing. It is not an indicator of velocity as used in sprint planning.

      Alan

      On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Christof Zahn <czahn@...> wrote:

      Hi group,

      how do you calculate the burndown rate / velocity for a sprint?
      Here's my example / My understanding:

      Start: 42 hours left
      End of Day 1: 36 hours left
      End of Day 2; 28 hours left
      End of Day 3: 18 hours left

      Velocity for
      Day 1 is 6 hours (42 minus 36)
      Day 2 is 8 hours
      Day 3 is 10 hours
      Avg. : 8 hours

      So the velocity is nothing more than the "burned down" points or hours per day.
      Am I correct?

      And with that information, how will you do the forecast?
      Take the average velocity or the one from the actual day?
      Maybe it even depends on the sprint length?! Because the velocity at the beginning of the sprint is much slower.
      So an average value will be not so representative for a good forecast.

      regards,
      christof

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 11, 2013
        Christof,

        On 2/11/13 11:38 AM, Christof Zahn wrote:

        > Hi group,
        >
        > how do you calculate the burndown rate / velocity for a sprint?
        > Here's my example / My understanding:
        >
        > Start: 42 hours left
        > End of Day 1: 36 hours left
        > End of Day 2; 28 hours left
        > End of Day 3: 18 hours left
        >
        > Velocity for
        > Day 1 is 6 hours (42 minus 36)
        > Day 2 is 8 hours
        > Day 3 is 10 hours
        > Avg. : 8 hours
        >
        > So the velocity is nothing more than the "burned down" points or hours
        > per day.
        > Am I correct?

        No, calculate velocity based on the completed stories per sprint
        (measured in points, # of stories, or however you measure them).

        > And with that information, how will you do the forecast?

        Probably the next sprint will be about the same as this sprint. That's
        what is called "Yesterday's Weather."

        > Take the average velocity or the one from the actual day?
        > Maybe it even depends on the sprint length?! Because the velocity at the
        > beginning of the sprint is much slower.
        > So an average value will be not so representative for a good forecast.

        Look at your burndown and eyeball if it appears that you will accomplish
        the sprint goals by the end of the sprint.

        Oh, and don't vary the length of your sprints. You'll cause other pain
        if you do.

        - George

      • Markus Gaertner
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 11, 2013
          Hi Christof,

          Scrum doesn't say anything about velocity or burn-ups. Usually during courses I ask participants for good reasons to come up with stuff like these. The only answer yet has boiled down to rendezvous planning with some other group or team.

          Now, I am curious, what daily rendezvous do you face that makes you evaluate the velocity on a day-by-day basis?

          Best
          Markus

          --
          Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
          Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
            Hi,
            first of all thank you for your responses!

            The reason why i calculate the velocity on a day-by-day basis is,
            that i want to calculate a forecast for a sprint. Just as an additional information to the normal burndown chart!
            I just want to know, if we will finish all stories in the calculated sprint time.

            So i took the average burndown hours(!) per day and use it as a forecast value. This value now shows to me, when we go on with this 'velocity', we will finish all the stories in this sprint until day X, Y or Z.
            And no, i don't want to vary the length, i just want to know if we are in time.

            For your background. We have just started with this project and there is no last sprint yet. And there are no references for this sprint and its velocity.

            regards,
            Christof

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Markus Gaertner wrote:

            > Hi Christof,
            >
            > Scrum doesn't say anything about velocity or burn-ups. Usually during
            > courses I ask participants for good reasons to come up with stuff like
            > these. The only answer yet has boiled down to rendezvous planning with some
            > other group or team.
            >
            > Now, I am curious, what daily rendezvous do you face that makes you
            > evaluate the velocity on a day-by-day basis?
            >
            > Best
            > Markus
            >
            > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Christof Zahn wrote:
            >

            > > Hi group,
            > >
            > > how do you calculate the burndown rate / velocity for a sprint?
            > > Here's my example / My understanding:
            > >
            > > Start: 42 hours left
            > > End of Day 1: 36 hours left
            > > End of Day 2; 28 hours left
            > > End of Day 3: 18 hours left
            > >
            > > Velocity for
            > > Day 1 is 6 hours (42 minus 36)
            > > Day 2 is 8 hours
            > > Day 3 is 10 hours
            > > Avg. : 8 hours
            > >
            > > So the velocity is nothing more than the "burned down" points or hours per
            > > day.
            > > Am I correct?
            > >
            > > And with that information, how will you do the forecast?
            > > Take the average velocity or the one from the actual day?
            > > Maybe it even depends on the sprint length?! Because the velocity at the
            > > beginning of the sprint is much slower.
            > > So an average value will be not so representative for a good forecast.
            > >

            > > regards,
            > > christof

            > --
            > Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
            > Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven
            > Development
            > http://www.shino.de/blog
            > http://www.mgaertne.de
            > http://www.it-agile.de
            > Twitter: @mgaertne

          • Kevin Callahan
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
              First off, I can tell from your emails that you're extremely excited to be practicing scrum, and that's a very good thing!

              However, I would add a note of caution here: part of what you'll almost certainly learn is that there are simply things that cannot be known, regardless of what numbers, metrics, or forecasts are made. As such, it becomes a waste of time to pursue them.

              To answer your question of whether or not you'll make the sprint forecast? Well, the sprint burndown will give a pretty good indicator, though it's going to take time. It's not usual for a new team to completely misforecast a sprint. Even experienced teams find themselves in the same place from time to time.

              Rather than putting am emphasis and value on whether or not the forecast was accurate, I would suggest focusing on the quality of the work being done and the value it provides the business. Is this a potentially shippable product increment that drives business value? If not, that's a far more interesting question, IMO, than "how accurate are our sprint forecasts?"

              Hope that helps!

              -kevin

              Kevin Callahan
              Scrum Master & Agile Coach
              LiveWorld Inc.

              Mobile+1 (207) 691-2997
              Emailkcallahan@...
              Skypekevmocal
              Webwww.liveworld.com

              Follow UsFacebook Twitter LinkedIn

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
                Christof,

                On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:42 AM, "czahn777" <czahn@...> wrote:

                So i took the average burndown hours(!) per day and use it as a forecast value. This value now shows to me, when we go on with this 'velocity', we will finish all the stories in this sprint until day X, Y or Z.
                And no, i don't want to vary the length, i just want to know if we are in time.

                What do you do when it says all's good? What do you do when it says you're late?

                What do you do when it says all's good and at the end of the Sprint not everything is done?

                Ron Jeffries
                If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
                if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
                  -- Kelly Easterley

              • Markus Gaertner
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
                  I probably only speak from my own experiences there, but I have seen
                  most teams being perfectly comfortable with seeing the progress they
                  make on their taskboard. When there are four days in the sprint left,
                  and just one out of five stories is finished, they exactly know they
                  have bad news, and need to speak to the product owner about it. On the
                  other hand, if four days before sprint review four out of five stories
                  are done, and the PO had a look on them, and the fifth story is
                  half-way through, they know, they are likely to finish that last story
                  as well.

                  Usually the visual impression of the taskboard gives clues to your
                  progress. And you update that one anyways. The teams I worked with
                  were pretty comfortable with that.

                  Best
                  Markus

                • extremeprogrammer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 14, 2013
                    I advise you not do do this for two reasons:

                    1. Many teams have a "burndown signature" that is visible after several sprints. This arises from the teams preferences, maybe for doing a few small stories first, then tackling hard ones, leaving some smaller ones at the end, or maybe they tackle the hard ones first, etc. The belief that the burndown should follow some sort of "ideal" line is clinging to the old world.

                    2. http://www.casualmiracles.com/2011/05/16/burndown-prediction-confidence-and-risk/

                    Regards,

                    Lance

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "czahn777" wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > first of all thank you for your responses!
                    >
                    > The reason why i calculate the velocity on a day-by-day basis is,
                    > that i want to calculate a forecast for a sprint. Just as an additional information to the normal burndown chart!
                    > I just want to know, if we will finish all stories in the calculated sprint time.
                    >
                    > So i took the average burndown hours(!) per day and use it as a forecast value. This value now shows to me, when we go on with this 'velocity', we will finish all the stories in this sprint until day X, Y or Z.
                    > And no, i don't want to vary the length, i just want to know if we are in time.
                    >
                    > For your background. We have just started with this project and there is no last sprint yet. And there are no references for this sprint and its velocity.
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Christof
                    >

                    > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Markus Gaertner wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Christof,
                    > >
                    > > Scrum doesn't say anything about velocity or burn-ups. Usually during
                    > > courses I ask participants for good reasons to come up with stuff like
                    > > these. The only answer yet has boiled down to rendezvous planning with some
                    > > other group or team.
                    > >
                    > > Now, I am curious, what daily rendezvous do you face that makes you
                    > > evaluate the velocity on a day-by-day basis?
                    > >
                    > > Best
                    > > Markus
                    > >
                    > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Christof Zahn wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Hi group,
                    > > >
                    > > > how do you calculate the burndown rate / velocity for a sprint?
                    > > > Here's my example / My understanding:
                    > > >
                    > > > Start: 42 hours left
                    > > > End of Day 1: 36 hours left
                    > > > End of Day 2; 28 hours left
                    > > > End of Day 3: 18 hours left
                    > > >
                    > > > Velocity for
                    > > > Day 1 is 6 hours (42 minus 36)
                    > > > Day 2 is 8 hours
                    > > > Day 3 is 10 hours
                    > > > Avg. : 8 hours
                    > > >
                    > > > So the velocity is nothing more than the "burned down" points or hours per
                    > > > day.
                    > > > Am I correct?
                    > > >
                    > > > And with that information, how will you do the forecast?
                    > > > Take the average velocity or the one from the actual day?
                    > > > Maybe it even depends on the sprint length?! Because the velocity at the
                    > > > beginning of the sprint is much slower.
                    > > > So an average value will be not so representative for a good forecast.
                    > > >

                    > > > regards,
                    > > > christof

                    > > --
                    > > Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
                    > > Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven
                    > > Development
                    > > http://www.shino.de/blog
                    > > http://www.mgaertne.de
                    > > http://www.it-agile.de
                    > > Twitter: @mgaertne

                  • wwake2
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 14, 2013
                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Markus Gaertner wrote:

                      > I probably only speak from my own experiences there, but I have seen
                      > most teams being perfectly comfortable with seeing the progress they
                      > make on their taskboard.

                      +1 for taskboards over sprint burndowns

                      When I'm halfway through a sprint, I'd like to see say 40%+ of stories in the "done" column. That gives me a better indication of progress than seeing that we've burned down half the work we expect to do.

                      I've found the taskboard leads the team to focus more on stories ("what *we're* trying to do") and less on tasks ("what *I'm* trying to do").

                      --
                      Bill Wake @wwake http://xp123.com
                      Industrial Logic, Inc. - Coaching, Training, Assessment, eLearning - http://industriallogic.com