no more work left in a sprint

  • Christof Zahn
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
      hi group,
      this is my first topic in that fabulous discussion group! I'm so excited! :)

      Here's my question:
      We're now almost at the end of a sprint. There are 4 day left. When we take a look at our burndown chart, the forecast says we will finish the sprint two days earlier than planned.
      There is no more work left in the sprint backlog.

      So, what would you do, if the work will finish earlier?
      a) Stop/Finish the sprint, make the review and start into the next sprint?
      b) Add some more work from the product backlog that fit into these 2 days?
      c) Let the developer do something totally different?

      I look forward to your reply

      regards,
      christof
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
        Hi Christof,

        On Feb 11, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Christof Zahn <czahn@...> wrote:

        There is no more work left in the sprint backlog.

        So, what would you do, if the work will finish earlier?
        a) Stop/Finish the sprint, make the review and start into the next sprint?
        b) Add some more work from the product backlog that fit into these 2 days?
        c) Let the developer do something totally different?

        I'd find out why the developers are so sure that there are no bugs and the code is in perfect order. Then, having found out what's really going on, I'd have them finish the work.

        If everything is really done, two things: First, I'll buy your team a drink. Second, I'd just take on a little more work.

        But my bet is that there is cleanup yet to be done ...

        Why pay now when we can pay later?

      • Markus Gaertner
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
          I'd get together with my team and my product owner, and decide about the best option to go for. That could mean to pay down some technical debt, add some more unit tests, develop some more business facing test automation, or pull the next tiny story suitable for the two days into the sprint, but not to commit on it. That could also mean to do some pre-planning on the stories to come, add some acceptance criteria, or, or, or...

          And I would let the Scrum team decide on that.

          Best
          Markus

          --
          Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
          Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
              Agree with both. And also don't forgot about a little fun together, if everything seems to be good and you have free time.

              Sent from my iPad

[...]

            • Ranjeet Srivastava
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
                I would rather say that the sprint was not planned and estimated well. Team estimation might not be that accurate. In fact team might have over estimated the tasks. If it is initial sprints, then it is obvious behavior and acceptable, and it is good that it came out with the facts. It should be taken as a good learning by the team.

                In such case, if you see that the stories are REALLY getting completed/finished before time, you better talk to the team + Prod. Owner and take some more stories from your backlog.

                And yes don't forget to treat your team to come up with the facts :)

                --
                Thanks and Regards,

                Ranjeet
                Mobile: +91-96111-98265
              • czahn777
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2013
                  Thank you for your great response.
                  Should it really occur, that all the work is done before the sprint ends, i think we would add another small story to the sprint.
                  I'll inform you ;)

                  Thanks, regards,
                  Christof

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael James wrote:

                  > Agree with that. Though I want to emphasize that every time I've heard "we're done early" it turned out the work wasn't really *done*.
                  >
                  > --mj
                  > http://ScrumReferenceCard.com
                  >
                  > On Feb 11, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Markus Gaertner wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'd get together with my team and my product owner, and decide about the best option to go for. That could mean to pay down some technical debt, add some more unit tests, develop some more business facing test automation, or pull the next tiny story suitable for the two days into the sprint, but not to commit on it. That could also mean to do some pre-planning on the stories to come, add some acceptance criteria, or, or, or...
                  > >

                  > > And I would let the Scrum team decide on that.
                  > >
                  > > Best
                  > > Markus
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Christof Zahn wrote:
                  > >

                  > > hi group,
                  > > this is my first topic in that fabulous discussion group! I'm so excited! :)
                  > >
                  > > Here's my question:
                  > > We're now almost at the end of a sprint. There are 4 day left. When we take a look at our burndown chart, the forecast says we will finish the sprint two days earlier than planned.
                  > > There is no more work left in the sprint backlog.
                  > >
                  > > So, what would you do, if the work will finish earlier?
                  > > a) Stop/Finish the sprint, make the review and start into the next sprint?
                  > > b) Add some more work from the product backlog that fit into these 2 days?
                  > > c) Let the developer do something totally different?
                  > >
                  > > I look forward to your reply
                  > >
                  > > regards,
                  > > christof
                  > >

                  > > --
                  > > Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
                  > > Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development
                  > > http://www.shino.de/blog
                  > > http://www.mgaertne.de
                  > > http://www.it-agile.de
                  > > Twitter: @mgaertne

                • Dave Smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 13, 2013
                    If a sprint ends early, and there really are no stories in the backlog (and no product owners available to put them there), then it helps to remind yourself that 'velocity' is a mechanism for establishing a watermark for commitments for the next sprint. Since the current sprint ended abnormally, the best velocity you have to carry forward is from the prior sprint. That means declaring victory on the current sprint, but quietly ignoring it when planning the next sprint. Or you might use it as a weak signal if you've accumulated enough burn-down charts to give you some idea of whether this short sprint is ahead or behind the profiles for previous sprints.

                    If you do find yourself "stuck" with time until your product owners can restock the backlog, then consider paying off some technical debt. This opportunity doesn't some often, at least not in this form.

                    Dave

                    On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM, czahn777 <czahn@...> wrote:
                    Thank you for your great response.
                    Should it really occur, that all the work is done before the sprint ends, i think we would add another small story to the sprint.
                    I'll inform you ;)

                    Thanks, regards,
                    Christof

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael James  wrote:

                    > Agree with that.  Though I want to emphasize that every time I've heard "we're done early" it turned out the work wasn't really *done*.
                    >
                    > --mj
                    > http://ScrumReferenceCard.com
                    >
                    > On Feb 11, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Markus Gaertner  wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'd get together with my team and my product owner, and decide about the best option to go for. That could mean to pay down some technical debt, add some more unit tests, develop some more business facing test automation, or pull the next tiny story suitable for the two days into the sprint, but not to commit on it. That could also mean to do some pre-planning on the stories to come, add some acceptance criteria, or, or, or...
                    > >

                    > > And I would let the Scrum team decide on that.
                    > >
                    > > Best
                    > > Markus
                    > >
                    > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Christof Zahn  wrote:
                    > >

                    > > hi group,
                    > > this is my first topic in that fabulous discussion group! I'm so excited! :)
                    > >
                    > > Here's my question:
                    > > We're now almost at the end of a sprint. There are 4 day left. When we take a look at our burndown chart, the forecast says we will finish the sprint two days earlier than planned.
                    > > There is no more work left in the sprint backlog.
                    > >
                    > > So, what would you do, if the work will finish earlier?
                    > > a) Stop/Finish the sprint, make the review and start into the next sprint?
                    > > b) Add some more work from the product backlog that fit into these 2 days?
                    > > c) Let the developer do something totally different?
                    > >
                    > > I look forward to your reply
                    > >
                    > > regards,
                    > > christof
                    > >

                    > > --
                    > > Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
                    > > Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development
                    > > http://www.shino.de/blog
                    > > http://www.mgaertne.de
                    > > http://www.it-agile.de
                    > > Twitter: @mgaertne

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Otis Bricker
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 14, 2013
                      I am no expert and many others have made some good suggestions. I would tend towards option a though it might be a problem to get folks to an early Sprint Demo for us.

                      But if you are REALLY done a significant amount early, you might invest a minimal amount of time in looking into WHY this happened. I didn't see a sprint length mentioned. 2 days on a 30 day sprint( call it 21 working days?) is not that big a difference unless it happens all the time. ON a two week sprint, it is starting to be a major chunk of time.

                      Why did you finish early? Was it that all the stories were 5's only because you couldn't call them 4s(1,2,3,5,,8...)?  Not sure the best way to handle that.

                      Was there some design change made earlier than is making a class of stories easier than the current estimates suggest? If so, maybe you should re-estimate any other stories this will affect.

                      Was there less Vacation/sick time used in this sprint? Again, Not sure the best way to handle that. We tend to add one 'stretch' story to sprints that we have minimal vacation scheduled in. But  I am sure others here will tell you why this is a BAD idea(lack of commitment?).

                      Did people just hit 'the zone' this sprint? Maybe you should assume that the team has found its next gear and raise your SPs for the next sprint.

                      Did one story in particular take a lot less time? Did you think of a new way to implement it that would have changed the estimate if found earlier? Great. Better late than never. Don't change what you are doing except maybe thinking about more options when estimating the stories. Otherwise, maybe a quick discussion on why this story was estimated too high to help prevent it from happening again.

                      I wish I had your problems!