Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Finance

  • Dan Greening
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
      Hi scrumdevelopers,

      There was a thread below on Agile Finance in scrumdevelopment a few weeks ago.  I mentioned I was writing an article on the topic. I just posted Why Should Agilists Care About Capitalization? on InfoQ, after working on it for months. It includes a bunch of details on how we classified PBIs as expense or capitalize, and how we avoided time-cards and time-tracking, while making auditors much more happy.

      Of course, I am interested in feedback on the paper. My preference is replying to the paper on InfoQ proper or twitter reference to @greening. However, I am happy to answer questions or critiques here as well.  I'm also happy to discuss privately.

      I hope this helps.

      Dan Greening
      Managing Director, Senex Rex LLC, http://senexrex.com
      Email: dan@... Phone: +1 (415) 754-8311, Skypeid: drgreening

      On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Dan Greening <dan@...> wrote:
      Hi Michael (and others),

      I have a paper possibly slated for publication on the topic of capitalization and depreciation that may help.  I can provide a preprint under the condition that you agree to provide feedback within a week of receipt.  Send request separately to me at dan@.... Thanks.

      Dan R. Greening — http://dan.greening.org

      On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

      I need a few bullet points on what can be gained with taking agile development into account with company/project financials, where the result is an improved Balance Sheet. I remember, for example, that one could capitalize a larger percentage of development costs. I also remember financial charts that showed that incremental releases resulted in more ROI.

      1. Can someone point me to a couple of good and authoritative articles on the subject?
      2. There was a really good book that came out a few years ago but I seem to have misplaced it and I can't remember its name. I just remember the paperback cover was sky blue.
      3. Or, just for the proposal summary that I'm working on, can someone just list a couple of bullet points I can use to claim that changing how Finance accounts for agile projects will result in goodness?
      Thanks!

      Michael