Re: [scrumdevelopment] Need some help to buy right book for CSM certification

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hi Bobby,

      > I appreciate if someone helps me out with the book or books which I should gothrough for my CSM certifications.

      Please describe for us your Scrum experience so far. Someone *might* be in a position to make recommendations, afterward.

      Cheers,
      Laurent
    • Bobby Testing
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
        I am working in the agile ( scrum) for about 2 years now. I have pretty much confortable with it but not sure how much i have to be prepared for CSM certification. I am looking in terms of certification .

        thanks Laurent for your reply!

        > I appreciate if someone helps me out with the book or books which I should gothrough for my CSM certifications.

        Please describe for us your Scrum experience so far. Someone *might* be in a position to make recommendations, afterward.

        Cheers,
        Laurent

      • Barry_J_mgh
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
          My current favorite is "Essential Scrum" by Kenneth Rubin. Very practical and well written.

          -- Barry

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
            Bobby,

            On Jan 18, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Bobby Testing <bobby.testing@...> wrote:

            I appreciate if someone helps me out with the book or books which I should gothrough for my CSM certifications.

            To attain CSM you MUST take a CSM course from a Certified Scrum Trainer, and pass a test. Most of the material on the test is covered in class or can be found on http://agileatlas.org/atlas/scrum.

            To understand Scrum you should read many books and practice it. Getting the CSM is a good first step.

            Before you contradict an old man, my fair friend, you should endeavor to understand him. - George Santayana

          • David Koontz
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
              the Scrum Guide at the Scrum.org

              On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Bobby Testing <bobby.testing@...> wrote:

              Hi All,

              I appreciate if someone helps me out with the book or books which I should gothrough for my CSM certifications.

              I appreciate quick reply!

              Thanks
              -Bobby

              David A Koontz

                        (360) 259-8380 cell
                        email://David@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
                Hi David,

                On Jan 18, 2013, at 12:52 PM, David Koontz <davidakoontz@...> wrote:

                the Scrum Guide at the Scrum.org

                Scrum Guide is an excellent resource but it is not the study guide for getting the CSM, which Bobby was asking about.

                Ron Jeffries
                I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.  -- Jessica Rabbit

              • Bobby Testing
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
                  Thanks Ron! Yeah I understood that I have to attend the course and then I have to give the test to get certified . My plan is to go through one book about scrum so that i can understand and relate to what they teach in the class and I want to give the test right after it.

                  I am looking at Feb 21 and 22nd for the classes in Morrisville ( NC state) to attend the class.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
                    Thanks Barry!

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013
                      Bobby,

                      On Jan 18, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Bobby Testing <bobby.testing@...> wrote:

                      I am working in the agile ( scrum) for about 2 years now. I have pretty much confortable with it but not sure how much i have to be prepared for CSM certification. I am looking in terms of certification .

                      You must take the class, and pass the test. If you take the class, passing the test should be quite easy.

                      That is all it takes to get the CSM. To get good at Scrum requires practice and study. But all it takes to get CSM is the class and the test.
                      Don't ignore your dreams; don't work too much; say what you think; cultivate friendships; be happy. -- Paul Graham

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013
                        > the test should be quite easy.

                        I concur, it will probably be pretty easy just after the course.  You get two tries and you only need to score a 69% on one of them in order to pass.  You also get an hour to answer the 35 questions.

                        -------
                        Charles Bradley
                        Scrum Coach-in-Chief
                        ScrumCrazy.com

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013

                            And.

                            When you decide to take the CSM class or workshop look around at the options.

                            Email or speak with the people doing the teaching over the two days (ask to speak with the person not the sales people) and read about them out on the Internet. There are many styles out there and I love it when people ask questions ahead of time and after the various workshops I facilitate.

                            You are on your journey already. Go in with an open beginners mindset and you may be surprised!

                            Mike Vizdos