Re: How well understood should a PBI or User Story be at various points in its lifecycle?

  • avinap77
    Message 1 of 60 , Jan 8, 2013
      Kurt,

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > Hi Kurt,
      >
      > On Jan 8, 2013, at 3:08 AM, Kurt Häusler wrote:
      >
      > > grooming and planning, I would have a hard time convincing the
      > > team to
      > > rely less on documents prepared outside the sprint, and more on a
      > > conversation that happens just before they start developing.
      >

      > How about several conversations, not "just before" they start
      > developing?

      Yes, the point is to do **as little** conversation as possible at **each stage*** to get the **most understanding** required so you can proceed to the next stage.

      You might try planning this from the end:

      Question: What does each party need to understand in order to ship the story at the end of the sprint?

      Answer #1: Team will probably need to understand what the PO wants

      Solution #1: Dedicate the first part of Sprint planning to this conversation. Timebox it to 1 hour/week.
      Also make sure Team and PO talk daily to discuss new issues or things that hadn't occurred to them in the sprint planing. Keep that conversation focused on the story and don't let it wander away to other stories (that's your duty as the SM - to help everyone keep focused)

      Answer #2: Team will also need to understand how to build it.

      Solution #2: Dedicate the second part of the sprint planning to figure that out with themselves. If they still haven't got it at the end of Sprint planning, don't start the sprint, or do start it despite the misunderstanding. It's your call as SM to do what you think is best for the organization.

      Question: What does each party need to understand in order for the Sprint Planning to keep within it's timebox?

      Answer: The PO probably needs to understand the story itself and if the story is "good enough" to launch a sprint or not (INVEST etc)

      Solution: Dedicate grooming sessions throughout the sprint for preparing stories for the upcoming sprint planning.
      Have the PO talk to stakeholders and to team until he feels the story is good enough.

      etc. etc.

      What are the stages in **your** work lifecycle?

      What understanding is required (and by whom) in order to **proceed to the next stage**?

      How can you achieve that understanding with **as little effort as possible**?

      p.s.:

      > On Jan 8, 2013, at 3:08 AM, Kurt Häusler wrote:
      >
      > > I would have a hard time convincing the team

      Your real challenge will be to CONVINCE them.

      How do you usually manage to convince them of things?

      What will help you?

      Will it be Theoretical calculations?
      Will it be the Scrum Guide?
      Will it be a story you can tell them?
      Will it be a workshop? A chart?

      Will it be anything *WE* on this list tell you?

      Good luck!
      Avi
    • avinap77
      Message 60 of 60 , Jan 12, 2013
        p.s. While we're at it:

        "
        The ScrumMaster acts as a coach for the Scrum Team, helping them to execute the Scrum process. He helps them to work together and to learn the Scrum framework, and protects them from both internal and external distractions. **He may facilitate meetings**, and helps keep the Scrum Team on track, productive, and growing in ability.
        "
        (Agile Atlas, I think you know which page)

        I'm in fact addressing the root cause of this discussion - here:
        https://trello.com/c/fZQC4KfI

        Have a happy week,
        and don't take me too seriousely - I would be deeply offended if you did...

        Avi

        We're not building nuclear missiles, nor promoting world peace.
        It's just software, Try to remember it.