Re: [scrumdevelopment] Another User Story terminology thread - Epics/Themes

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 6, 2013
      Thanks to all for the feedback on this thread.  What I gathered, in terms of my original questions, is that the community has seen this practice, doesn't care that much about the mixing of the terms, and the impact of the mixing is not that important.  Many pointed to the key strategy that terms be fairly well understood inside of a particular team or organization, which make sense.  I'm personally ok with all of this.

      Out of deference for the User Story pioneers, and those who are active in the community, I just wanted to get a sense for where the community stands.

      I thank you all for your input and intend to reflect future writings/trainings/coachings to reflect the community sentiment.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      Scrum Coach-in-Chief
      ScrumCrazy.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
        Dean Leffingwell's Scaled Agile Framework, targeted at large
        organizations, uses feature and story in much the same way as Chet.

        A story is what teams work on. A feature is something a marketer could
        put in a product brochure. A feature might be implemented by one
        story, but often takes more than one. An epic is larger than a
        feature and represents an organizational initiative. Epics often longer
        than one release to execute.

        For example, an epic for a software product might be "Implement
        single sign-on". Features could be "Active Directory Integration, and
        Sign-on using Facebook login"

        Doug Swartz

        > Hi,

        > I use 'feature' to refer to a thing the business/stakeholders want
        > from us. I use 'story' and 'user story' interchangeably for the
        > team's description of a feature or features. I don't use 'epic' or
        > 'theme' or 'saga' or 'ode'. I don't know what they mean and I bet,
        > like me, you have seen too much time spent determining when one
        > category ends and another starts.

        > I call them all 'stories'. Some are small enough to be scheduled
        > into a Sprint and others aren't. And some, we don't know enough about to know.

        > chet

        > Chet Hendrickson

        > lists@...

        > On Jan 5, 2013, at 2:29 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

        > Charles,
        >
        > On 12/19/12 8:25 PM, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and
        > Coach wrote:
        >>

        >> No, it's not what you're thinking... at least it's not about an article
        >> or anything like that.
        >>
        >> Here it is...
        >>
        >> In the earlier works on User Stories (Cohn, at least -- maybe there's
        >> more), the concept of an "Epic" was something like a "big story" or "a
        >> story too big to fit into a sprint". A "Theme" was something like "a
        >> collection of related stories."
        >>
        >> In more recent years, I haven't seen much use of the term Theme, but I
        >> have seen quite a bit of use of the term Epic, to mean *either* a big
        >> story, *or* a collection of Stories(thus taking on the meaning of a Theme).
        >>
        >> I've noticed this in the last few years. I first noticed it in one of
        >> my clients 3 years ago(especially in use at the D/Director/VP level),
        >> then I noticed it in Pivotal Tracker and Greenhopper in the last year.
        >>
        >> Has anyone else seen this use(misuse?) of the terminology? Do we (as a
        >> community, and as practitioners) care that the term has been co-opted?
        >> Is the impact so small as to not worry about it?
        >
        > I've seen lots of organization use lots of different terminology. Often
        > they use "feature" instead of either "epic" or "theme." I've seen
        > "capability" for the middle level. I don't worry about it much as long
        > as people in the organization find it clear and agree on the
        > terminology. Often a term must be avoided because it has multiple
        > meanings in the organization.
        >
        > - George
        >
        > --
      • Ken 'classmaker' Ritchie
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
          That seems like the simplest thing that could [and does] work.

          Kudos to you, Chet, for the gentle smack of "Einstein's KISS" (... Simple & Sufficient). Just enough. I needed that!

          Cheers all,
          --Ken ;-)

          Ken Ritchie
          Classmaker