Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum in non-co-located, non-overlapping teams? (was: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • Sean Corfield
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2013
      On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM, scott <sepreece@...> wrote:

      I worked last year as a remote collaborator with an otherwise collocated team, relying on webcams and skype. It worked pretty well except when it didn't work at all, because nobody thought to call me for an impromptu discussion.

      Yes, having most of the team co-located and just one or two remote is almost the worst of both worlds. I saw that several times at Macromedia where one or two team members had moved away for various reasons and the rest of the team mostly continued on without them :(

      At least when everyone is remote, everyone is aware of communication needing to include "the team" rather than "an individual".
      --
      Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

      "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
    • scott
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 4, 2013
        Well, I didn't say you didn't need to be able to talk everyday - just that you may be able to get along without an all-together-at-the-same-time standup meeting, if you've got good communications and a discipline of sharing.

        But this is largely hypothetical, in any case - I'm not recommending it! Sometimes, though, the people you need to do what you want to do aren't in the same place and aren't fungible.

        scott