Re: [scrumdevelopment] New Product Owner, No Agile Experience

  • Damián Buonamico
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2012
      Hello Greg,

      This is the first time I write in this list, I signed up last week.

      I'm in the same situation you describe.

      You should take in consideration whether the new PO cames from the traditional management world with that mindset. If that is the case you should focus on help him undersand the self-organized scrum team, As a scrum master you should avoid the command & control.

      Also what it worked for me is to sit next to the PO and start writing User Stories in the backlog with him, asking him about the priorities and the acceptance criterias. Showing him the User Stories template. etc.

      Hope that helps.

      On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
      Greg,

      On 12/6/12 11:01 PM, Greg Robinson wrote:

      > Hi, I'm working for a team that has a new Product Owner with no Agile
      > experience.  As the Scrum Master for this team, I would like to help
      > educate him quickly, but I've never been in a Product Owner role.  Can
      > anyone point me in the right direction for getting this person some
      > materials, articles, training courses, etc. that will help get him off
      > the ground running?

      I highly recommend Jeff Patton's "Don’t know what I want, but I know how
      to get it"
      (http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/dont_know_what_i_want.html) as
      an introduction.

        - George

         * George Dinwiddie *                      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
         Software Development                    http://www.idiacomputing.com
         Consultant and Coach                    http://www.agilemaryland.org

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • gregc
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2012
        Greg R.,

        There are a lot of skills that will help a product owner. Which one's to focus on depend a lot on what skills the product owner already brings to the table. Would you share with us what role your new PO was previously filling and where his skills are strongest?

        Thanks,

        -greg c.

      • z00foodagile@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
          Having just met him, all I know is that he is a Six Sigma black belt and people manager.

          Greg

          gregc <greg@...> wrote:

          Greg R.,

          There are a lot of skills that will help a product owner. Which one's to focus on depend a lot on what skills the product owner already brings to the table. Would you share with us what role your new PO was previously filling and where his skills are strongest?

          Thanks,

          -greg c.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Greg Robinson <z00foodagile@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I'm working for a team that has a new Product Owner with no Agile
          > experience. As the Scrum Master for this team, I would like to help
          > educate him quickly, but I've never been in a Product Owner role. Can
          > anyone point me in the right direction for getting this person some
          > materials, articles, training courses, etc. that will help get him off the
          > ground running?
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          > Greg

        • gregc
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
            Greg R.,

            I'd start with explaining the role to him, what the team expects from him, and what he should expect from the team and let him identify where he might need more support. With that said, I encourage you to spend the time to get to know him more deeply before prescribing any medicine.

            -greg c.