Re: [scrumdevelopment] New Product Owner, No Agile Experience

  • Kevin Johnston
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012

      This is a nice po overview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=502ILHjX9EE

      Regards kevin

      On 7 Dec 2012 11:36, "Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach" <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      Some Product Owner resources for a newbie PO:

      ·     The Product Owner on One Page
      ·
      ·    Top 7 Responsibilities of a Product Owner
      ·
      TThe Role of a Scrum Product Owner(somewhat outdated, but a fairly good overview of Scrum as a whole too)

      The Scrum Guide
      http://www.scrum.org/Scrum-Guides

      Roman Pichler's Blog and Book:

      Product Owner -- Role Description

      Function
      ·         The Product Owner leverages the Scrum process to deliver the maximum business value and is the final authority for decisions regarding business value and sequencing for all the software features(Product Backlog Items) delivered by a Scrum team.
      ·         The Product Owner does not go it alone.  These tasks of the Product Owner are often accomplished in collaboration with stakeholders and the Scrum Team.  However, the Product Owner is the sole person responsible for making sure the Product Owner tasks are done and done well.

      Responsibilities
      • Ably represents, interfaces with and engages stakeholders (such as other product managers, senior management, customers).
      • Acts as a fully integrated Scrum Team Member.
      • Uses clear goals to communicate the project vision at the beginning of every release and sprint so that the team understands and is equipped to realize them; or makes available the appropriate subject matter experts to communicate the vision.
      • Makes daily business decision trade-offs and clearly communicates requirements so they are understood.
      • Communicates status outside of the team.
      Tasks
      • In collaboration with stakeholders and the Scrum team,
        • Creates, maintains, prioritizes, and sequences the Product Backlog based on business value, and using the overall roadmap as a guide.
        • Works with the Scrum Team to creates user stories and acceptance criteria granular enough for a single sprint.
          • The product owner may delegate the maintenance of these items to the Scrum Team, or they may do it themselves.
        • Facilitates Product Backlog Grooming sessions.
        • Facilitates Sprint Reviews.
        • Orders user stories by business value and decides in which order user stories are scheduled into sprints.
        • Provides rapid feedback to the team, on a daily and/or hourly basis.
        • Participates in Daily Scrums, Sprint Retrospectives, Sprint and Release Planning.
      ·         Reviews deliverable and demonstrable features as soon as they are complete, and has the authority to accept or reject.
      ·         Assists with internal and external communication, such as progress reporting to improve transparency and radiate information at the sprint, release and roadmap levels.
      ·         Assists with prioritization, ordering, and resolution of defects / bugs.
      Leadership
      • Is always accessible and participates proactively and constantly in team activities.
      • Steers the work to ensure delivery of business value.
      • Protects the team from outside noise and pressure.
      • Is visible, vocal, and objective.
      • Provides encouragement, recognition, and support to the Scrum Team.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      Scrum Coach-in-Chief
      ScrumCrazy.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
          A while ago a colleague of mine wrote this list: 37 tasks of a product owner:
          http://agiletrail.com/2011/11/29/37-tasks-for-a-product-owner’s-job/

          Great reference for getting started.

          Best Markus
          --
          Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
          Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance

          On 07.12.2012, at 05:01, Greg Robinson <z00foodagile@...> wrote:

          Hi, I'm working for a team that has a new Product Owner with no Agile experience.  As the Scrum Master for this team, I would like to help educate him quickly, but I've never been in a Product Owner role.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting this person some materials, articles, training courses, etc. that will help get him off the ground running?

          Thanks in advance.
          Greg
        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
            Greg,

            On 12/6/12 11:01 PM, Greg Robinson wrote:

            > Hi, I'm working for a team that has a new Product Owner with no Agile
            > experience. As the Scrum Master for this team, I would like to help
            > educate him quickly, but I've never been in a Product Owner role. Can
            > anyone point me in the right direction for getting this person some
            > materials, articles, training courses, etc. that will help get him off
            > the ground running?

            I highly recommend Jeff Patton's "Don’t know what I want, but I know how
            to get it"
            (http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/dont_know_what_i_want.html) as
            an introduction.

            - George

          • Damián Buonamico
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2012
              Hello Greg,

              This is the first time I write in this list, I signed up last week.

              I'm in the same situation you describe.

              You should take in consideration whether the new PO cames from the traditional management world with that mindset. If that is the case you should focus on help him undersand the self-organized scrum team, As a scrum master you should avoid the command & control.

              Also what it worked for me is to sit next to the PO and start writing User Stories in the backlog with him, asking him about the priorities and the acceptance criterias. Showing him the User Stories template. etc.

              Hope that helps.

              On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
              Greg,

              On 12/6/12 11:01 PM, Greg Robinson wrote:

              > Hi, I'm working for a team that has a new Product Owner with no Agile
              > experience.  As the Scrum Master for this team, I would like to help
              > educate him quickly, but I've never been in a Product Owner role.  Can
              > anyone point me in the right direction for getting this person some
              > materials, articles, training courses, etc. that will help get him off
              > the ground running?

              I highly recommend Jeff Patton's "Don’t know what I want, but I know how
              to get it"
              (http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/dont_know_what_i_want.html) as
              an introduction.

                - George

                 * George Dinwiddie *                      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
                 Software Development                    http://www.idiacomputing.com
                 Consultant and Coach                    http://www.agilemaryland.org

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • gregc
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2012
                Greg R.,

                There are a lot of skills that will help a product owner. Which one's to focus on depend a lot on what skills the product owner already brings to the table. Would you share with us what role your new PO was previously filling and where his skills are strongest?

                Thanks,

                -greg c.

              • z00foodagile@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
                  Having just met him, all I know is that he is a Six Sigma black belt and people manager.

                  Greg

                  gregc <greg@...> wrote:

                  Greg R.,

                  There are a lot of skills that will help a product owner. Which one's to focus on depend a lot on what skills the product owner already brings to the table. Would you share with us what role your new PO was previously filling and where his skills are strongest?

                  Thanks,

                  -greg c.

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Greg Robinson <z00foodagile@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, I'm working for a team that has a new Product Owner with no Agile
                  > experience. As the Scrum Master for this team, I would like to help
                  > educate him quickly, but I've never been in a Product Owner role. Can
                  > anyone point me in the right direction for getting this person some
                  > materials, articles, training courses, etc. that will help get him off the
                  > ground running?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance.
                  > Greg

                • gregc
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
                    Greg R.,

                    I'd start with explaining the role to him, what the team expects from him, and what he should expect from the team and let him identify where he might need more support. With that said, I encourage you to spend the time to get to know him more deeply before prescribing any medicine.

                    -greg c.