Re: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • pascal.rieux@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 6, 2012
      Hi Ribhu,

      As soon as the scrum meeting outputs directly concern the team members attending the meeting (including the PO), I don't see any need for minutes. The evidence is clearly visible on the board.

      Pascal

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ribhu Lavania" <ribhul@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > Stand up meetings have proved effective and efficient. Are there any norms for having minutes of meetings or equivalent for these meetings with the objective of creating an objective evidence without compromising on effectiveness and efficiency?
      > Best Regards,
      > Ribhu

    • Cass Dalton
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 9, 2013
        I work in an industry (DOD contracting) where documentation is a key part of the software delivery.  You can't even bid on any reasonable size DOD contract unless you are at least CMMI level 3 certified.  The CMMI specification was designed in a heavy waterfall era.  While there is technically nothing about CMMI that precludes an agile process, documentation is a sticking point when trying to mix the two.  The DOD contracting environment is one of implicit mistrust.  The government has so many regulations and procedures designed to limit fraud and waste (ah, the irony) that form a basis of mistrust.  Contractors have policies and procedures designed to protect them from the government making major scope changes, especially scope creep, without changing the funding; also forming a basis of mistrust.  It's not that the active players of a contract lack trust, but the process itself is untrusting.

        So, part of the process of any contract is to generate documentation that records progress and decisions as the contract is executed.  We have to document design decisions (including essentially proving that we are actually thinking about design, interfaces, etc).  We have to document progress so that the progress can be reported higher and higher up the contractor mgmt chain and then through the government mgmt chain.

        Even with all these documentation requirements, I STILL argue against taking minutes of the daily stand up.  I'd agree to minutes in the planning session, in the sprint review, and even the grooming session.  But the daily stand up is designed to be quick and free flowing.  It's the thing that starts your day, and you shouldn't have to stick to the pace of someone taking notes.  There's nothing at the stand up that you can't capture in some other way.  If you need to report progress, then you can note changes to the sprint backlog for posterity after the fact (SM comes in later and notes which PBIs were completed, which have impediments, etc).

        On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

        Rich,

        I will attempt to not beat you up, but I have some comments.

        IMO, the "pattern" you suggested is really only possibly applicable in the contexts that you suggested it in.  As such, I would now say that someone on this list has put forth a context(actually a couple of them) for when it might be useful to take meeting minutes at the Daily Scrum.  I still stand by my statement that this is something like 1% of Scrum teams or less.

        > why beat up on people in the community who may have valid reasons for their adaptions,

        While I don't agree with "beating people up," I do agree with professionals on this list who have seen situations like this and understand that ~99% of the time, it's not a good practice.  Further, the OP never came forth with a "context" that justified taking meeting minutes.  If he/she had done so, then I believe this conversation would have gone much differently.

        But your question is... Why?
        The answer:  Because processes that used, encouraged, or even remotely implied a lot of written documentation in the past in our industry have proven over and over again to be unsuccessful on wide scale.  You can get down on the weeds on the study, but the empirical evidence is that Agile is 3X more successful than Waterfall(and its derivatives).

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        Scrum Coach-in-Chief
        ScrumCrazy.com