Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to increase velocity

  • Cass Dalton
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
      Well said

      On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Account <richardknaster@...> wrote:

      I've been hanging back and watching this really interesting discussion evolve and thought I'd jump in.

      My advice would be to have the Scrum Team and management get together to discuss this business problem. Why do we need to have this certain functionality (fixed scope) delivered by a certain date (fixed time)? If we assume management has noble intentions, perhaps they are trying to hit a market window, and the "certain functionality" is the minimally marketable features.

      Once we understand the business objectives and the goal, then we can inspect and adapt to the situation. What's missing is the visibility into management's reasoning.

      The point here is to be proactive, not reactive. Agile is about the "Art of the Possible.". For example: we figure out various implementation scenarios and we can explain the trade-offs with management. We can delivery sooner with fewer features to get early feedback, we can deliver all the desired features, but not go as deep with their functionality, etc.

      If management is arbitrarily asking the team to meet the goal (fixed date/fixed scope), then find out what's behind it. Do they want to set a challenging goal to help the team improve, has an Executive made a promise to a customer to close business, etc. Does management not understand how/why agile works and they need education. There can be many good explanations.

      Once you find out what is going on, it will change your mindset (paradigm shift) and many alternatives to solve the problem will emerge.

      Regards,
      Richard Knaster

      Original question:
      Your boss wants your team to deliver certain functionality by a certain date (deadline), but your velocity is unable to achieve that. What options/suggestions do you have for your management who really want this to get done? More people? Overtime? What else to increase the velocity?