Re: Requirement communication between dev and PO

  • gregc
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
      Jiang,

      Would you share a little more about the PO. What is his/her background and what are his or her full responsibilities at the company?

      -greg

    • changjiang1124@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 2, 2012
        Hi Greg:

        He was a developer in Adobe for about 2 years after his graduating. After then, he co-founded this company and being a product manager for about 2 years.

        Best regards
        Chang, Jiang

      • changjiang1124@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 2, 2012
          Hi Charles:

          I know we are not psychics, I just want to figure out what are acceptable and what are not, to make our team more efficient.

          These "things" are more like details and consistencies. Like details and constraints of financial processes, UI design does some confusions of revealing requirement, or sometimes after discussions or demos, PO thinks the requirement he stated at the kick-off doesn't work, so he changes.

          You made the point of backlog grooming, we should try harder on it.

          Best regards
          Chang, Jiang

          On Nov 30, 2012, at 6:26 AM, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

          Jiang,

          >Charles: Our PO does like to interact with Dev, but he would miss some details, some of which are important, some are not. Dev doesn't foresee these details until they begin to develop these modules.

          This sounds like a perfectly functioning software development team.  Software development is complex, and we are not psychics... things come up that we didn't foresee,which is why we control this risk via Scrum.  If your team is co-located and the PO likes to interact with Dev, then I don't see a need for more formal specs.  Now, if the details are or domain are highly complex, maybe you do need some low fidelity supplemental info like a wiki.  More likely it is that you need smaller stories.

          At what point does your team realize that they have "missed" something?  Does it happen often enough that you get a lot of complaints about it?  If so, what does your team think will help?  (If they say "more documentation", then ask them why "more verbal communication" won't solve the problem.  It would be very interesting to hear their answer... Also, ask them if there is anything besides document that they think would help.)

          > I am the SM, also dev manager. We work together. Maybe I heard from dev too much, but they are just sick of too many things must ask first,  rather than according to documentations, which could make dev progress more smooth.

          Glad to hear that you are SM, that helps me give you better advice because now I know what your role is.  I hope you are working hard to resist exerting "dev manager" authority and instead let the Dev Team self organize, like a good Scrum Master.  :-)

          Does your team do product backlog grooming once a week?

          -------
          Charles Bradley
          http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 3, 2012
            Thanks George!! This is very practical. Got lots of good ideas from this reading.

            Best regards
            Chang, Jiang

            On Nov 30, 2012, at 6:39 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

            Jiang,

            On 11/28/12 11:27 PM, changjiang1124@... wrote:

            Thanks for all your replies.

            Charles:
            Our PO does like to interact with Dev, but he would miss some details,
            some of which are important, some are not. Dev doesn't foresee these
            details until they begin to develop these modules.
            I am the SM, also dev manager. We work together. Maybe I heard from dev
            too much, but they are just sick of too many things must ask first,
             rather than according to documentations, which could make dev progress
            more smooth.

            It's all about the conversations. Take a look at
            http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide.asp?Function=WEEKLYCOLUMN&ObjectId=17232&ObjectType=ARTCOL&btntopic=artcol
            to get some ideas about how these conversations can help.

             - George

              * George Dinwiddie *                      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
              Software Development                    http://www.idiacomputing.com
              Consultant and Coach                    http://www.agilemaryland.org

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 3, 2012
              Jiang,

              On 12/3/12 3:13 AM, changjiang1124@... wrote:

              > Thanks George!! This is very practical. Got lots of good ideas from this
              > reading.

              Good! Let us know how things progress.

              - George

              > Best regards
              > Chang, Jiang
              >

              > On Nov 30, 2012, at 6:39 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...
              > <mailto:lists@...>> wrote:
              >
              >> Jiang,
              >>
              >> On 11/28/12 11:27 PM, changjiang1124@...
              >> <mailto:changjiang1124@...> wrote:
              >>>

              >>> Thanks for all your replies.
              >>>
              >>> Charles:
              >>> Our PO does like to interact with Dev, but he would miss some details,
              >>> some of which are important, some are not. Dev doesn't foresee these
              >>> details until they begin to develop these modules.
              >>> I am the SM, also dev manager. We work together. Maybe I heard from dev
              >>> too much, but they are just sick of too many things must ask first,
              >>> rather than according to documentations, which could make dev progress
              >>> more smooth.
              >>
              >> It's all about the conversations. Take a look at
              >> http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide.asp?Function=WEEKLYCOLUMN&ObjectId=17232&ObjectType=ARTCOL&btntopic=artcol
              >>
              >> to get some ideas about how these conversations can help.
              >>
              >> - George
              >>
              >> --
              >> * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
              >> Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com
              >> Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemaryland.org
              >>

              >> scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
              >> <mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

            • gregc
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 3, 2012
                Jiang,

                And what are his current responsibilities?

                Thanks,

                -greg

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Greg:

                  He is responsible for all the product of our company, like a VP or a product director.

                  Best regards
                  Chang, Jiang

                  On Dec 4, 2012, at 2:15 PM, "gregc" <greg@...> wrote:

                  Jiang,

                  And what are his current responsibilities?

                  Thanks,

                  -greg

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "changjiang1124@..." <changjiang1124@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Greg:
                  >
                  > He was a developer in Adobe for about 2 years after his graduating. After then, he co-founded this company and being a product manager for about 2 years.
                  >

                  > Best regards
                  > Chang, Jiang
                  >

                  > On Dec 1, 2012, at 1:16 PM, gregc <greg@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Jiang,
                  > >
                  > > Would you share a little more about the PO. What is his/her background and what are his or her full responsibilities at the company?
                  > >
                  > > -greg
                  > >
                  > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Jiang,

                  > > > It's all about the conversations. Take a look at
                  > > > http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide.asp?Function=WEEKLYCOLUMN&ObjectId=17232&ObjectType=ARTCOL&btntopic=artcol
                  > > > to get some ideas about how these conversations can help.
                  > > >
                  > > > - George
                  > > >
                  > > > --
                  > > > * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
                  > > > Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com
                  > > > Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemaryland.org

                • Gopinath KS

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 5, 2012
                      Jiang,
                      It's very challenging to diagnose with the pace of information exchange over a group list like this. I was hoping to understand a bit more about what being "responsible" for the product really means as far as the activities the PO owns. But for now, I'll attempt to layout a simple model and tell you what I've heard and you can let me know if this model applies and if my hypothesis on where the problem might lay has merit.

                      In one of the simpler views of the world, new product development has 3 phases that need to be passed through. This is true of waterfall or agile: these only differ in the batch size accepted into each phase. The phases are Define --> Design --> Build.

                      This step in the middle, Design, is really important. It is where we match the problem or need to a solution. In definition we get a sense of what a customer is trying to accomplish, how they think about success, and their impediments to realizing that. Definition is about needs. It requires research, VOC, ethnography, observation. In the design step, it's about analysis, a feature or set of features begin to emerge to satisfy the need. This takes analysts skills and a deep understanding of workflows, data elements, rules. There's also user experience, understanding the interaction design, visual design, information architecture, and actual content that needs to be presented and which data elements can be manipulated and how, etc. and you need technical architecture skill describe how the design will be implemented. Now it sounds to me like

                      1) your developers are well equipped to build and well equipped to handle the technical architecture.
                      2) your PO can define the customer's need (although I'm not certain of this.)
                      3) you may have a gap in design where some or all of the major design tasks are not being handled by anyone. Or no one is willing to own them so they are being handled in an adhoc fashion. This might be an issue of individuals not believing it is their responsibility or a missing skill set within the team.

                      Let me know if this is on target or not.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 6, 2012
                        Greg:

                        Exactly!! I almost get your conclusion by finishing reading the first 2 paragraphs.

                        This is like a grey zone. Both side (PO and dev) would think that's the other's problem. Right now, it seems kinda a solution by gathering PO and dev (maybe just some of them) together to discuss the details, inspired by backlog grooming. The whole team could need some time to get used to this meeting and find the routine.

                        Could I get some advices from you?

                        Best regards
                        Chang, Jiang

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 6, 2012
                          Jiang,

                          For the case of recording details, it's good to record that minimum that could *possibly work.*  If you're finding out that details are missed *and* are not easily "re-discovered" through conversation, then you can decide to record more detail.  Along those lines, you may find this presentation helpful:
                          http://www.scrumcrazy.com/Presentation+-+Story+Testing+Patterns

                          For the case of "changing requirements", my general view is that small changes/clarifications are fine so long as they are not totally disruptive.  For more on that, see:
                          http://www.scrumcrazy.com/One+Way+to+Handle+Mid+Sprint+Scope+Changes+in+Scrum

                          Hope this helps!

                          -------
                          Charles Bradley
                          Scrum Coach-in-Chief
                          ScrumCrazy.com

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 6, 2012
                            Jiang,

                            Scrum is good at exposing problems. So it's been successful in that regard. And now that the problem is defined, let's look at ways to address it. There is a gap in design and that gap needs to be closed. Part of that can be closed through good collaboration around the story. The story has the three elements: the actual story, the conversation around it, and the joint development of the satisfaction criteria. This should be part of your definition of "ready" before a story can be accepted into a sprint. I'm confident if you do this, things will improve but I am not convinced your problem will be solved.

                            A first step would be to lay out the design tasks (which I think for your team means detailed description of functionality, mock-ups, etc.) that aren't being adequately covered today and have the dev team and PO come to some understanding of who is responsible for each of these and how those tasks are going to get done. I think the Team also has to decide if they have the necessary skill set or if a skills gap needs to be filled. Out of this, at least the problem can be recognized, internalized, and the team can develop a plan to address it.

                            The conundrum as I see it is the dev team doesn't want to own design. Their passion is for building, not designing. Yet the PO, even if he wants to own design, is unlikely to be able to deliver. Your PO is the VP of Product. And a VP of product has a lot of market facing responsibilities that will prevent him from being able to spend the time necessary to meet the dev team's expectations and needs. I don't think your core problem is with your scrum practices but rather with how you're organized.

                            I don't know if this is possible for your company, but my first reaction is that you need a new PO. One who who has more of an analyst skill set. And then I would divide the VP of Product (i.e. product management) and PO responsibilities along the following lines:

                            1) Your VP of Product will focus on understanding the market, VOC, competitive analysis, business strategy, product positioning and the strategic roadmap.

                            2) The PO will focus on being the expert on the user and everything about the job the user is trying to accomplish (yes, this means the PO will need to be comfortable spending time with users. The knowledge the PO needs to succeed does not come second hand.) The PO will have responsibility, while still collaborating with the team, for feature definition (using stories as the main artifact with supplemental documents like mock-ups, business logic, and task flows as needed), usability, scoping, and the product roadmap.

                            Once again, diagnosing via email is tough. Let me know if I've misinterpreted your situation. Also, it sounds like you're a relatively young company. If your company has not yet achieved product-market fit and a scalable business model, I would organize slightly differently.

                            Best,

                          • changjiang1124@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 7, 2012
                              Hi Greg:

                              All your thoughts  on my situation are right, include we are a young company.

                              Thanks for your detailed reply, I really got lots of ideas from it.
                              We do need a new PO, coz right now we just have 1 PO that he are managing too many things. Since it's hard to find a suitable candidate, even I could be a half PO, which I don't know whether this is the right thing.

                              I still have one thought about this under the current circumstance, I put my QA to write test items just after the kick-off, since they need to think through the details, they can come out really nice questions about the stories to help them get designed at the early stage of building.

                              Can this be a solution, or there maybe exist some potential risks?

                              Best regards
                              Chang, Jiang

                            • Markus Gaertner
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 7, 2012
                                Hi Jiang,

                                for the testers, I recommend that they come up with the following at least during the backlog refinement or grooming meetings:
                                - criteria for acceptance of that particular story
                                - exploratory test sessions they would like to run once the story has been implemented
                                - further quality criteria (i.e. non-functional requirements like performance and stability) they think needs to be addressed.

                                This can help to prepare them about which tests are going to be automated, and to close the gaps with non-functional tests which require special tools alongside with a human engaged brain where it is necessary like layout problems, usability, and so on.

                                Best
                                Markus

                                --
                                Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
                                Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development