Re: [scrumdevelopment] Completing Stories (i.e. swarming vs filling the pipeline)

  • RonJeffries
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2012
      Hi Jack,

      On Nov 28, 2012, at 12:15 PM, "JackM" <jack@...> wrote:

      I have some developers struggling with the dilema wrt completing stories in a sprint - i.e. meat your goal all crossing the goal line together vs keeping developers pipeline full

      Scrum has a clear and simple answer to this question. At the end of each Sprint, the team is jointly responsible for delivering a working, integrated, shippable increment of software, containing the Product Backlog items which they themselves selected, and forecasted that they could complete by the end of the Sprint.

      Once the team can do that reliably, then let's talk about keeping pipelines full, whatever the heck that is.

      Working software increment, every Sprint, containing what the team forecast they could do, in shippable order. How are you doing on that, so far?

    • RonJeffries
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2012
        Hi Jack,

        On Nov 28, 2012, at 12:38 PM, "JackM" <jack@...> wrote:

        So the discussion this senior developer had with me is he is worrying about his longer release commitments and getting that started so as to get ahead.

        Tell us about your Product Owner and how they interact with the team. In particular, tell us how this "senior developer" finds himself interested in or saddles with "longer release commitments". Scrum is one Sprint at a time. So these phrases are not working for me.

        Ron Jeffries
        If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
        if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
          -- Kelly Easterley

      • RonJeffries
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 29, 2012
          Jack,

          On Nov 28, 2012, at 12:38 PM, "JackM" <jack@...> wrote:

          The problem I see with this approach is the most important things get finished later rather than sooner. The whole swarming thing seems un-natural to them.

          If things are important, why are they not being done now? Why is the team working on unimportant things? Is the Product Owner stupidly selecting unimportant things to do?

          Sometimes I give myself admirable advice, but I am incapable of taking it.
          -- Mary Wortley Montagu

        • Michael Vizdos
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 29, 2012
            [minor high-jacking of the thread ON]

            Watching these types of conversations, I see the point that "release planners" and then Ron's passionate points from almost the other side.

            It is like watching people who speak two different languages try to have a conversation.

            Or... even a person with a little knowledge of the language having a conversation with people who speak it fluently.

            Or... the Shu-Ha-Ri concept (???).

            Both are "right" from their different lenses and viewpoints that they bring to the table.

            Something is missing from "an answer" when both "sides" come from the "I am right" standpoint (btw I am THERE A LOT personally too).

            Observation... I'll continue listening watching and learning.

            [minor high-jacking of the thread OFF]

            - mike vizdos

            Thank you.

            - mike vizdos