Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum & ERP system introduction

  • Michael Vizdos
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2012

      If the company implementing this does everything classical (as you wrote), perhaps have a conversation with them about how they would like to see the input from their client.

      Raises other questions that others will probably hit but ummm... What does your friend really want out of the erp implementation?

      Start with a conversation. Just because there is this cool agile tool called scrum in your toolbox does not make it right for the job.

      What is it they really need out of the erp implementation?

      Mike Vizdos

      On Nov 10, 2012 7:11 PM, "Manko, Franziska" <f.manko@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I find myself confronted with a "ScrumBut" before we've even started working on the project ... but first things first.

      The project I'm looking at is the introduction of a new ERP system. The adaptation of the system is done by the provider and they don't use any agile methodology but a rather classical approach as far as I know. Now, we want to use Scrum to organize the project within the company that is actually introducing the new ERP system. And there the following challenges arise:

      * no one in the company has ever worked with Scrum before (they sell clothes over the internet so no obvious reason why they should have stumbled upon it before)
      * the potential team consists of a group of managers who have to provide certain input for the ERP provide on top of their day-to-day work
      * thus the team will only be available for the "Scrum ERP Introduction" as part-timers (here's my ScrumBut)
      * the team can only provide input for the ERP provider who is then doing the implementation work not using Scrum

      (btw I'm friends with the people owning the company so they asked me for my advice)

      Has anyone experience with a similar situation or using Scrum for ERP system introduction in general?
      Any ideas regarding how I can handle this is very much appreciated.

      Many thanks,
      Franzi