Re: [scrumdevelopment] limited interaction between developers

  • Michael Vizdos
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012

      Ask the team why this is happening. One of the jobs of a ScrumMaster is to facilitate the team in having discussions about impediments like this (and there are a lot of outcomes or root causes like the ones already mentioned in this thread so far).

      The best solution is talk to the team about this. Someone on the team probably has some ideas. Pick one. Get started. And watch.

      This could be a great topic for a retrospective.

      Mike Vizdos

      On Oct 31, 2012 7:21 AM, "xtremenilanjan" <nilanjanb@...> wrote:

      In some teams I notice that each developer works on his own story and there is limited interaction between developers.

      I think the reason is that we are attempting multiple, unrelated stories/epics. We should probably complete one epic at a time.

      Is this a common problem with new teams?

      Thx,
      - Nilanjan

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
        Nilanjan,

        Yes, this is fairly common with new Scrum teams. There are a million reasons why this happens, but it's not a very good practice in general.  I call it "swim-lane" Scrum or "silo" Scrum.

        > I think the reason is that we are attempting multiple, unrelated stories/epics.  We should probably complete one epic at a time.

        I think you meant "theme" here, as your team should not be working on epics.  Yes, working on related stories generally encourages/forces more collaboration, but not always.  It also usually helps the team be more focused and productive.  Silo-ing is mostly an org culture problem, and you essentially need to do everything in your influence to instead encourage teamwork.  Encouraging collaboration and teamwork is a very broad topic, so there are a million ways to attempt to solve that.

        Does the team have a code review practice?

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

        In some teams I notice that each developer works on his own story and there is limited interaction between developers.

        I think the reason is that we are attempting multiple, unrelated stories/epics.  We should probably complete one epic at a time.

        Is this a common problem with new teams?

        Thx,
        - Nilanjan

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional