Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scaled Agile Framework(aka SAFe)

  • Dan Greening
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 31, 2012
      If you can get executives to consider agile principles for portfolio management, you can apply Enterprise Scrum to help create and maintain an agile culture. This fractal extension of Scrum drives home the empirical and value-driven principles of Scrum to the top-levels of the organization. It was applied in Citrix and Tectronix to departments of about 500 developers. It works very well, but requires regular executive education and monitoring to work.

      Citrix drove its concept-to-cash cycle time from about 24 months (ugh) down to about 3 months, using Enterprise Scrum in conjunction with a broad Scrum training program for teams. During the same time, its market share increased and it released some pretty innovative products and features. Correlation does not imply causation, so your mileage may vary.

      See http://evolvebeyond.com/agile-2010-enterprise-scrum/ for a link to a paper and a slide deck on "Enterprise Scrum". I have another paper to be published in 2013 Hawaii International Conference on System Science on "Release Duration and Enterprise Agility". I can't yet make this public, but can share preprints privately on request.

      Dan Greening
      Managing Director, Evolve Beyond LLC
      Email: dgreening@..., Phone: +1 (415) 754-8311, Skypeid: drgreening, Site: http://evolvebeyond.com

      On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Kurt Häusler <kurt.haeusler@...> wrote:
      My previous company was looking into it. We sponsored an event with Dean, and had an internal workshop on the topic.

      I didn't like it much either. But it turns out you are not supposed to use the whole framework at once. It is apparently to be seen as a packet of different approaches you can pick and choose from to address aspects of "scaling agile". Particularly things that happen outside the normal sprint cycle. And most of them are probably things a good Scrum Master would suggest anyway as being useful in various situations. But in the end it is a compromise. It is for companies that ask questions like "how can we do agile software development with 6 year 300 person projects, synchronising everyones work to maximise utilisation, while not giving employees too much freedom to screw things up, and still giving our huge management structure something to do?".

      I am still not a huge fan because I ask questions like "how can we use agile as part of an approach to improve the company culture, how can we switch from huge risky projects to smaller, more focussed work with smaller teams, how can we give our employees as much freedom as possible".

      It is a hybrid approach for where the more extreme visions of how a truly agile company should work are hard to realise.

      But for a larger organisation wishing to get some benefit from agile software development without having to change to a completely different mindset it is probably a start.

      And for a consulting company it is undoubtably something that will sell to the richest of clients.

      On 30 Oct 2012, at 22:45, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSP CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      > I think this might be considered by some to be off topic, but since it refers to Scrum (esp at the team level), and uses a lot of terminology similar to Scrum, I think it is on topic for this forum.
      >
      > Has anyone formed an opinion on the "Scaled Agile Framework" ?
      > http://scaledagileframework.com/
      >
      > They also have a certification program with 4 different certs:
      > http://www.scaledagileacademy.com/which-certification/
      >
      > It reminds me a lot of the RUP/Rational type processes, and seems quite heavy in weight, though maybe the target is extremely large companies that need(?) heavy weight processes.  It also "bakes in" hardening iterations -- something I don't like.   It introduces a lot of new terminology: Architectural Epic, Business Epic, Program Backlog, Portfolio Backlog, Team Backlog, System Team, etc.
      >
      > I first started hearing about the SAF at Agile2012, and have seen it and its courses advertised more recently.
      >
      > Anyway, if anyone has any experiences or opinions on this framework, I'd be interested in hearing them.
      >
      > -------
      > Charles Bradley
      > http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Jesse Houwing
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 31, 2012

        Isn't that kind of implicitly caught under people over process?

        Unless of course you're planning a party ;).

        On Oct 31, 2012 6:11 PM, "Adam Sroka" <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

        If I could, I would add another line to the Agile Manifesto that read:

        "Being effective over employing a large number of people"

        Not that jobs are a bad thing, but bigger teams are consistently less effective in my experience, and process does not mitigate that.