limited interaction between developers

  • xtremenilanjan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2012
      In some teams I notice that each developer works on his own story and there is limited interaction between developers.

      I think the reason is that we are attempting multiple, unrelated stories/epics. We should probably complete one epic at a time.

      Is this a common problem with new teams?

      Thx,
      - Nilanjan
    • Jesse Houwing
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2012
        Yes, it is very common. A lot of people find it easier to work on their own, in their own pace on their own thing in their own way. Collaboration will lead to critique, conflicting ideas, less facebook-time etc and many people are not open to that until they really start to feel the benefits:
        - Knowledge sharing
        - Learning from eachother
        - Much lower number of bugs
        - Less pain on integration
        - Better understadign of what everybody is doing
        - Higher quality
        - ... etc

        Jesse

        On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:19 PM, xtremenilanjan <nilanjanb@...> wrote:
        In some teams I notice that each developer works on his own story and there is limited interaction between developers.

        I think the reason is that we are attempting multiple, unrelated stories/epics.  We should probably complete one epic at a time.

        Is this a common problem with new teams?

        Thx,
        - Nilanjan

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Adrian Howard
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
          On 31 October 2012 11:57, Jesse Houwing <jesse.houwing@...> wrote:
          Yes, it is very common. A lot of people find it easier to work on their own, in their own pace on their own thing in their own way. Collaboration will lead to critique, conflicting ideas, less facebook-time etc and many people are not open to that until they really start to feel the benefits:

          ... and there are also often many organisational factors that cause people to work alone.

          * reward/punishment based on individual 'productivity'
          * zero-sum incentive schemes where if one person 'wins' somebody else 'loses'
          * management seeing talking / pairing as waste

          ... and so on.

          I'm not saying that developer preference isn't a part of this - but I often find that it appears to have been shaped by the organisation those developers sit in. They've been broken.

          Cheers,

          Adrian
          --
          http://quietstars.com     adrianh@...     twitter.com/adrianh
          t. +44 (0)7752 419080     skype adrianjohnhoward     pinboard.in/u:adrianh

        • Michael Vizdos
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012

            Ask the team why this is happening. One of the jobs of a ScrumMaster is to facilitate the team in having discussions about impediments like this (and there are a lot of outcomes or root causes like the ones already mentioned in this thread so far).

            The best solution is talk to the team about this. Someone on the team probably has some ideas. Pick one. Get started. And watch.

            This could be a great topic for a retrospective.

            Mike Vizdos

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
              Nilanjan,

              Yes, this is fairly common with new Scrum teams. There are a million reasons why this happens, but it's not a very good practice in general.  I call it "swim-lane" Scrum or "silo" Scrum.

              > I think the reason is that we are attempting multiple, unrelated stories/epics.  We should probably complete one epic at a time.

              I think you meant "theme" here, as your team should not be working on epics.  Yes, working on related stories generally encourages/forces more collaboration, but not always.  It also usually helps the team be more focused and productive.  Silo-ing is mostly an org culture problem, and you essentially need to do everything in your influence to instead encourage teamwork.  Encouraging collaboration and teamwork is a very broad topic, so there are a million ways to attempt to solve that.

              Does the team have a code review practice?

              -------
              Charles Bradley
              http://www.ScrumCrazy.com