Re: [scrumdevelopment] the Microsoft version of Scrum

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2012
      For a while Ken had a relationship with Microsoft. I suspect that Microsoft Scrum might be related to that. Like Alan it feels like an odd thing.

      Cheers
      Mark

      On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:

      Ask the manager to define "the Microsoft version of Scrum" for you, if he has successfully used it several times.

      </sarcasm>

      Microsoft has a Scrum or Agile add-on to TFS (Team Foundation Server).  Maybe he is talking about that tool and/or the process structure it supports.

      This page and videos purport to show a Daily Scrum using TFS with a Microsoft team that works on TFS.  I do not agree with many things said and done in the video. But maybe it will help your situation.

      Alan

      On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Jean Richardson <jean@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know anything about the Microsoft version of Scrum?  I’m working with a manager who tells me he’s implemented this version very successfully several times.  Anyone aware of any documentation on it?  Does it tend to minimize the PO role, for instance?

      --- Jean

      Jean Richardson

      Azure Gate Consulting

      ~ Repatterning the Human Experience of Work

      AzureGate.net

      (503) 788-8998

      Jean@...

    • Jesse Houwing
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2012
        Yes Microsoft Endorses scrum and uses it internally on quite a few teams. They do often have a Product Owner (Product Manager in Microsoft) who has a more high level view with milestones and release plans, but he uses these to give vision, direction and priority to the scrum teams. From there the teams go forwards using sprints just like you would expect.

        Microsoft has a partnership with scrum.org, features PSD .NET trainers on their ALM websites and had successfully integrated the scrum tools into their ALM tools, even in favor of their own MSF Agile process template which is slowly fading to the background.

        There were a number of talks from last years ALM Summit where Microsoft explains their vision wrt agile/scrum and how their tooling supports it. They also have a bunch of talks on how it's used by their teams.

        Interesting talks on the changes Agile development has done to the way Microsoft works:
        - Brian Harry on the development of TFS as a Service http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/ALM-Summit/2011/Lessons-from-the-Cloud
        - Peter Provost (Product Manager test Tooling) on agile development as done in the DevDiv test framework team http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/ALM-Summit/2011/Agile-Development

        One thing to keep in mind when talking about "their way of scrum" is the size of the implementation and the size of the codebase. So a potentially releasable increment isn't always delivered all the way to end customers after each sprint ;). But they do dogfood their internal versions of the Visual Studio IDE to their developers at a very high frequency. First internally at the Developer Division and at a lower frequency in their other internal product groups. Some testing still takes ages and backwards compatibility and extreme regression testing is often key to shipping something... and not all divisions have adopted scrum (yet).

        With their contacts with external customers, in the ALM Ranger Team for example, They use Ruck, a sort of scrum for long running projects with people with limited availability.
        - A nice article explaining the need for Ruck: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh394152.aspx

        Jesse
        (A Microsoft Visual Studio ALM Ranger)

        On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Rudra Tripathy <rudra1in@...> wrote:

        As scrum dev suppports .net dont see any need of this. But it raised another q.does microsoft endroses scrum

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012

          Alan –

          Thanks for sending these. They were useful in my conversation w/ said manager.

          --- Jean

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012

            Thank you, Jesse.  This is very useful.

            --- Jean