Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: JIRA - tools question

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 1, 2012

      On Oct 2, 2012 12:37 AM, "curiouschimp" <bhy@...> wrote:

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
      >
      > > 2) If you know exactly what you are going to build and when you are going
      > > to have it built why are you literally wasting your time with Scrum? You'd
      > > have more time to do what you intend to do anyway if you weren't making
      > > your people go to pointless planning meetings. They are, in fact,
      > > pointless, unless there is some possibility that you will learn something
      > > and change the plan.
      > >

      > You make gross assumptions about what we're doing. Gross, and wrong. We don't know exactly what we're building.
      >
      > I have to say, I am a lurker here, but this thread has been disappointing. So many folks want to make assumptions about our process - that our planning meetings are pointless, that we know what we're doing, that we're wasting our time with scrum. So judgmental based on nearly zero data.

      I've been doing this for a while and I'm pretty comfortable with the assumptions I am actually making (but perhaps not the ones you inferred from my response.)

      It sounds to me like you need help. I suspect neither JIRA, your plan, nor the size of the team is particularly the issue. I suspect things will get worse for your team before you start asking the right questions. I could certainly be wrong about any of that.

      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 5, 2012
        In my experiences using and coaching teams using GH, we very rarely even saw/knew about the underlying JIRA system.  90+% of the time we used the card walls("boards", "planning board", etc) and a couple of searches.  We didn't even have to know that JIRA existed, except for some very default/basic administrative config that is shared by both.

        I have really enjoyed numerous Atlassian tools.  I get especially amused when someone tells me about their "Sharepoint wiki."  I show them Confluence, and they usually are completely hooked and realize how much Confluence kicks the pants off of Sharepoint (at least in the way that most dev teams use them).

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        http://www.ScrumCrazy.com