Re: [scrumdevelopment] Don't burn the last day?

  • rupesh raghavan
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 28 9:03 PM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 1.1 MB
    Hi Jean,

    This generally happens when the team updates amongst themselves in the following manner during standups-
    1. What I did YESTERDAY
    2. What I will do TODAY
    3. Blocks.

    Instead the team should adopt the below patter-
    1. What I did since the PREVIOUS STANDUP
    2. What I will do until the NEXT STANDUP
    3. Blocks.

    Now, if we have the daily scrum standup in the morning, then the team would have an update to share even for the review and retro day as they had a good part of the previous days update to share amongst themselves.

    If the daily standups are towards the end of the day, then the team would not have an update for the  review and retro day as it has already been shared by the end of the previous day.

    Please refer to the manual burndown attached herewith. Here the blue line is the ideal burndown and the red line is actual. Note that the ideal burndown is flat for the first day of the sprint as we have the standups in the morning. If the standups are kept for the end of the day then the ideal burndown would begin on Thurday and end of the 2nd Tuesday of the sprint(flat line on the last day of the sprint).
    Generally, the team has a stand up before they get into the review meeting to complete their burndown. The remaining tasks(if any) are carried forward to the retro and planning if required.

    In either cases, we will have 9 standups during the sprint.

    Hope my mail clarifies. :)

    Regards,
    Rupesh
    CSM, PSM I

    Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2012
      I'm just a little worried that they are focusing on the reports and tools, as opposed to the working software. Here's another question for them-how would they work and plan if they had NO burn down chart?

      Jean Richardson <jean@...> wrote:

      Yup, that’s the question.  Monday will be interesting.  Last I heard, they felt this would help them plan.