Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: JIRA - tools question

  • Jesse Houwing
    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 28, 2012
      Microsoft Project might indeed be "the best tool" for the question of the original poster, Though Project Server might be a little overkill...

      I also wonder, given that TFS was a good fit, if Team Foundation Services or Team Foundation Server Express 2012 might work out. If the team is small it is a cheap/free alternative, even if you only use the task tracking features...

      On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSP CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      +1 to Kevin.  I still don't totally understand the the OP is looking for, other than trying to make Jira operate like MS Project.  That, in and of itself, seems like a smell to me.

      The time tracking required by customers may be a real need, but I generally suggest that this tracking happens elsewhere, outside of the Scrum tools.  I have seen many cases where Scrum Dev Team members have assumed that such things as hour tracking are a part of Scrum since they are done in a Scrum tool, which IMHO, is very bad for achieving the true benefits of Scrum.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 5, 2012
        In my experiences using and coaching teams using GH, we very rarely even saw/knew about the underlying JIRA system.  90+% of the time we used the card walls("boards", "planning board", etc) and a couple of searches.  We didn't even have to know that JIRA existed, except for some very default/basic administrative config that is shared by both.

        I have really enjoyed numerous Atlassian tools.  I get especially amused when someone tells me about their "Sharepoint wiki."  I show them Confluence, and they usually are completely hooked and realize how much Confluence kicks the pants off of Sharepoint (at least in the way that most dev teams use them).

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        http://www.ScrumCrazy.com