Re: Question

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Delong"
      <ken.delong@v...> wrote:

      > >How about Newbie Forum, Practitioners Forum, Advanced Topics (or some
      > such?) Would this be an unnatural division?
      >
      > That's a much better division. Personally, tho, I'd probably
      subscribe to all of them anyway...

      Me too, but I might take a different approach on each...

      I use RSS and scan for interesting threads... I don't think three
      would be too overwhelming that way.
    • Gary F
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 7, 2004
        --- Dawn <dawn@...> wrote:

        > Dividing into multiple forums as was suggested does feel unnatural
        > and, as
        > somebody pointed out, would result in confusion as to what list would
        > give
        > the best experience. AND would result in a lot of good information

        A number of people have mentioned the confusion and balkanization that
        would result from multiple forums. I disagree.

        Confusion as to the appropriate forum is essentially the same problem
        as with confusion as to what keyword to put into the subject. People
        who are using the keywords as filters are in the same situation as
        people who only subscribe to a subset of the lists/forums.

        The (bad) balkanization problem is a result of both divisions that
        aren't well defined and the technology. Mailing lists and news groups
        are particularly prone to this problem, but other online forums can
        reduce or even eliminate the problem. Many bboards allow discussions
        to be moved from one forum (really a subforum) to another.

        Personally, my favorite is the Propsero technology, use by many
        services and available at DelphiForums for individuals and groups.
        See, for example, Inifinite Loops (general programming discussion) at
        http://forums.delphiforums.com/infinite_loops/messages or the About
        Linux forum at http://forums.about.com/ab-linux/messages .

        My point is that these are all problems that can be solved. To borrow
        from Ken Schwaber's first exercise at the Scrum class, we should be
        looking at this issue from the "yes, and..." perspective, not the "yes,
        but ..." perspective.

        Gary

        http://my.yahoo.com