Selection of a Scrum Tool

  • rupesh2182
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
      Hi All,

      I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
      Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.

      Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/ decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.

      Thanks in advance.

      Best regards,
      Rupesh.
      PS: JIRA greenhopper looked appealing but looking forward to the above mentioned parameters which can help me rank the tool.
    • Kevin Callahan
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
        Hi Rupesh,

        We've got several distributed teams, so having a web-based tool is essential. I wish we had the ability to be in a team room, and use stickies and pens though that's just not an option :/

        We're a couple months into using Target Process and amazingly enough *love* it.

        We needed:
          - card wall
          - roles
          - multiple projects
          - release planning
        We wanted:
          - integration of scrum and kanban; we use the latter for the task board and also use TP's Kanban view to see where stories are piling up.
          - ability to customize the workflow; we can define whatever states we want for stories and tasks, and also the rules for how things move through and even who can move them
          - clear charts
          - tagging and reporting

        We used to use Scrum Ninja, which the devs liked though left POs with almost nothing to plan releases. We gave ScrumWorks Pro a whirl, though its UI is super clunky and again, the POs didn't have the release planning tools they really needed. We looked at Jira with Green Hopper and ran away; I took brief looks at a few others as well with the same reaction.

        TP for the most part, doesn't get in our way, is incredibly configurable (though without being a configuration nightmare and works pretty well with default settings), has incredible release planning, and also they have great tech support.

        Hope that helps,

        -k

        On Aug 21, 2012, at 9:36 PM, rupesh2182 wrote:

        Hi All,

        I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
        Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.

        Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/ decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.

        Thanks in advance.

        Best regards,
        Rupesh.
        PS: JIRA greenhopper looked appealing but looking forward to the above mentioned parameters which can help me rank the tool.

        Kevin Callahan, CSP
        Scrum Master
        mobile: 207-691-2997
        AIM: kevmocal

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
          Rupesh,

          On 8/21/12 9:36 PM, rupesh2182 wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
          > Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.
          >
          > Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/
          > decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.

          To identify an appropriate tool, you must first identify
          - what you want the tool to accomplish, and
          - what complicating factors exist in your organization.

          George

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
            Plus one to George, but it would be *really* nice to see a matrix.  This one comes to mind as an example.

            It would also be nice to see things like "cards and whiteboards"(or many such variations) as one of the tools too.  :-)

            -------
            Charles Bradley
            http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

            > I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
            > Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.
            >
            > Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/
            > decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.

            To identify an appropriate tool, you must first identify
              - what you want the tool to accomplish, and
              - what complicating factors exist in your organization.

            George

              * George Dinwiddie *                      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
              Software Development                    http://www.idiacomputing.com
              Consultant and Coach                    http://www.agilemaryland.org

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Marcelo Costa
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
              Simple and easy

              Whiteboard on a wall where everyone can see. Everyone is everyone involved in the project including who serves coffee.

              Why?

              Everyone can follow the issues
              Everyone knows exactly what is being built

              And the front of the whiteboard is the best place to do follow-up and decision meetings.

              If your company really want an electronic tool, Jira Greenhoper is my choice by properly simulate a good monitoring of process flow and to be very simple to administer.

              [],s

              Marcelo

              On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

              Rupesh,

              On 8/21/12 9:36 PM, rupesh2182 wrote:
              > Hi All,
              >
              > I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
              > Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.
              >
              > Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/
              > decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.

              To identify an appropriate tool, you must first identify
              - what you want the tool to accomplish, and
              - what complicating factors exist in your organization.

              George

            • rupesh raghavan
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 23, 2012
                Thanks Charles.

                The scrum boards and cards are in place. I am looking for a tool which can also give a clear outlook on the position of about 5 scrum teams working towards a common product vision. A tool that can give a clear picture on where the programme stands at and potential fallouts.
                Before rounding on one tool(eyes on JIRA Greenhopper), I would like to know what others have considered during their exercise of identifying a tool. Intent is to make a check list of all relevant parameters that can be identified in this forum and see which tool fits best.

                Thanks and regards,
                Rupesh.

                > I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
                > Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.
                >
                > Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/
                > decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.

                To identify an appropriate tool, you must first identify
                  - what you want the tool to accomplish, and
                  - what complicating factors exist in your organization.

                George

                  * George Dinwiddie *                      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
                  Software Development                    http://www.idiacomputing.com
                  Consultant and Coach                    http://www.agilemaryland.org

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • digigm
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 31, 2012
                  Based on some experience I had:

                  *VersionOne* should have all thing that you need nevertheless I have hard times with its UI that's over-designed. On the other hand it serves well for my company in tracking progress over multiple teams and multiple projects within one product.

                  *pirvotaltracker* I love its simplicity and the way it have developed for few year now. I am not sure thou if it matches all your needs. Nevertheless I would recommend it and give it a try.

                  *jira+greenhopper* That serves well as long as you don't need tracking of multiple projects withing one product and particular team might work on multiple projects at the same time. That's because there is no way to have items from multiple projects in one iteration. But if this is not a problem (or greenhopper changed its feature overtime) then it is a nice choice.

                  Regardless of the tool you use individual teams benefits the most from whiteboards. Team have to be collocated but its worth it. While web tools might serve well for monitoring progress by others a team itself might track changes on white broad and put it them to the web tool. Until we will have giant multi-touch screens at reasonable prices available combining those two approaches might be useful.

                  -
                  Greg

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Callahan <kcallahan@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Rupesh,
                  >
                  > We've got several distributed teams, so having a web-based tool is essential. I wish we had the ability to be in a team room, and use stickies and pens though that's just not an option :/
                  >
                  > We're a couple months into using Target Process and amazingly enough *love* it.
                  >
                  > We needed:
                  > - card wall
                  > - roles
                  > - multiple projects
                  > - release planning
                  > We wanted:
                  > - integration of scrum and kanban; we use the latter for the task board and also use TP's Kanban view to see where stories are piling up.
                  > - ability to customize the workflow; we can define whatever states we want for stories and tasks, and also the rules for how things move through and even who can move them
                  > - clear charts
                  > - tagging and reporting
                  >
                  > We used to use Scrum Ninja, which the devs liked though left POs with almost nothing to plan releases. We gave ScrumWorks Pro a whirl, though its UI is super clunky and again, the POs didn't have the release planning tools they really needed. We looked at Jira with Green Hopper and ran away; I took brief looks at a few others as well with the same reaction.
                  >
                  > TP for the most part, doesn't get in our way, is incredibly configurable (though without being a configuration nightmare and works pretty well with default settings), has incredible release planning, and also they have great tech support.
                  >
                  > Hope that helps,
                  >
                  > -k
                  >
                  > On Aug 21, 2012, at 9:36 PM, rupesh2182 wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi All,
                  > >
                  > > I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
                  > > Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.
                  > >
                  > > Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/ decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks in advance.
                  > >
                  > > Best regards,
                  > > Rupesh.
                  > > PS: JIRA greenhopper looked appealing but looking forward to the above mentioned parameters which can help me rank the tool.
                  > >

                  > Kevin Callahan, CSP
                  > Scrum Master
                  > mobile: 207-691-2997
                  > AIM: kevmocal
                  > email: kcallahan@...

                • Stephen Starkey
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                    Jira with Greenhopper actually now supports
                    multiple projects on one board via Rapid Boards.

                    Also, the new Scrum support is out of this world
                    awesome.  I recommend it wholeheartedly!

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Aug 31, 2012, at 3:56, "digigm" <gmajchrzak@...> wrote:

> [...]

                    > Hope that helps,
                    >
                    > -k
                    >
                    > On Aug 21, 2012, at 9:36 PM, rupesh2182 wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi All,
                    > >
                    > > I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
                    > > Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.
                    > >
                    > > Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/ decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks in advance.
                    > >
                    > > Best regards,
                    > > Rupesh.
                    > > PS: JIRA greenhopper looked appealing but looking forward to the above mentioned parameters which can help me rank the tool.

                    =
                  • limonic316
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                      I second VersionOne. We have been using it for about 3 years now, and our requirements were very similar to yours. It does have it's shortcomings in the form of a cluttered UI - as already mentioned on the thread, but you'll get used to it in time.
                      They have decent tutorial videos available :https://vtv.v1host.com/
                      Check 'em out.

                      Cheers!

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 7, 2012
                        I'm also a fan of Greenhopper(+Confluence), and I pretty much hate all other tools in that genre(Agile ALM) that I've seen, for various reasons.  I'm also hard to please.  In general.  :-)

                        Further, I strongly prefer the low tech methods (sticky notes, etc) over any electronic tool.  The only times I recommend using Agile ALM tools are:
                        a) A team that has a lot of "remoteness" in it.
                        b) When one or more people will get fired or have their career/job severely punished/threatened for not using such a tool.

                        I try my hardest to avoid the ALM tools for Agile teams, but I often don't win.

                        My opinions may very well change some day as the technology and tools advance.

                        -------
                        Charles Bradley
                        http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

> [...]

                        > Hope that helps,
                        >
                        > -k
                        >
                        > On Aug 21, 2012, at 9:36 PM, rupesh2182 wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi All,
                        > >
                        > > I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
                        > > Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.
                        > >
                        > > Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/ decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks in advance.
                        > >
                        > > Best regards,
                        > > Rupesh.
                        > > PS: JIRA greenhopper looked appealing but looking forward to the above mentioned parameters which can help me rank the tool.

                        =

                      • Cass Dalton

> [...]

                          > Hope that helps,
                          >
                          > -k
                          >
                          > On Aug 21, 2012, at 9:36 PM, rupesh2182 wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi All,
                          > >
                          > > I was working on identifying a good scrum tool for my organization.
                          > > Could anyone share their experience on identifying an appropriate tool.
                          > >
                          > > Also, it would be great if anyone could share any key parameters/ decision factors that were considered to arrive at a selection.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks in advance.
                          > >
                          > > Best regards,
                          > > Rupesh.
                          > > PS: JIRA greenhopper looked appealing but looking forward to the above mentioned parameters which can help me rank the tool.

                          =

                        • jamesjhawkins
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 10, 2012
                            The last selection process that I encounterd ended up with Rally by way of Version One and Agile On Demand. I didn't see the bills but I believe Rally was the more expensive option. I also hear that it is endorsed by some of the top Agileratti.

                            My impression of the cheaper and free tools is that they generally don't do too much to help user story development. I think I read on one of their sites that they actually expect people to import user stories from Excel or similar.
                            Rally, at least, can model the states through which a story makes transition before Sprint Planning. That's important.

                            As a general rule for tool selection, I'd say involve the Product Owners and whoever will be writing user stories.

                            Cheers, Jim