RE: Question

  • Ken Delong
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 1, 2004
      I'm a lurker, so I'll chime in here too.

      I don't think that necessarily all lurkers are shy or intimidated. Many of us may not have a question, but are just interested in what others have to say, and are too busy/boring/confused to respond. :-) We are trying to implement Agile with my teams, and I'm just trolling for interesting ideas/insights.

      Everytime I've felt like posting a question, I realized that I already knew the answer and was just hoping for a Silver Bullet (usually the answer is "it depends"). So I didn't post. But when I come up with a really good question, I'll certainly post it.

      I think the idea of a regularly auto-emailed FAQ is a good idea. Even better if, once a really interesting thread occurs, that a link to the thread is added to the FAQ.

      I'd sure hate to see the group fracture into many groups. scrum-pm, scrum-burndowncharts, scrum-dailyscrums... we'll lose the "wholistic" aspect and the cross-fertilization of ideas. Not to mention too many groups to monitor.

      Ken DeLong

      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 7, 2004
        --- Dawn <dawn@...> wrote:

        > Dividing into multiple forums as was suggested does feel unnatural
        > and, as
        > somebody pointed out, would result in confusion as to what list would
        > give
        > the best experience. AND would result in a lot of good information

        A number of people have mentioned the confusion and balkanization that
        would result from multiple forums. I disagree.

        Confusion as to the appropriate forum is essentially the same problem
        as with confusion as to what keyword to put into the subject. People
        who are using the keywords as filters are in the same situation as
        people who only subscribe to a subset of the lists/forums.

        The (bad) balkanization problem is a result of both divisions that
        aren't well defined and the technology. Mailing lists and news groups
        are particularly prone to this problem, but other online forums can
        reduce or even eliminate the problem. Many bboards allow discussions
        to be moved from one forum (really a subforum) to another.

        Personally, my favorite is the Propsero technology, use by many
        services and available at DelphiForums for individuals and groups.
        See, for example, Inifinite Loops (general programming discussion) at
        http://forums.delphiforums.com/infinite_loops/messages or the About
        Linux forum at http://forums.about.com/ab-linux/messages .

        My point is that these are all problems that can be solved. To borrow
        from Ken Schwaber's first exercise at the Scrum class, we should be
        looking at this issue from the "yes, and..." perspective, not the "yes,
        but ..." perspective.

        Gary

        http://my.yahoo.com