Re: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Question

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 1, 2004
      There is a csm class in WashingtonDC in the Spring. See wwww.controlchaos.com.
      Ken

> [...]
      > SCRUM and Agile is incremental improvement and if you need help we
      > need to understand how best to support you.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Mike Dwyer
      > >
      > > "I Keep six faithful serving-men
      > > Who serve me well and true:
      > > Their names are What and Where and When
      > > And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

      > > > Okay.
      > > >
      > > > My name is Dawn Bauleke, and I'm a lurker. (Hi, Dawn!)
      > > >
      > > > I attended the San Jose class and heck YES I'm intimidated by the
      > list - mainly
      > > > because so many are the contributors I have read, perused the
      > sites of, marveled
      > > > at the knowledge of, but have not (yet) MET. But you just called
      > me on it, so
      > > > here I am, answering.
      > > >
      > > > Sometime, perhaps, I'll get the nerve to post a question. I
      > should mention that
      > > > I'm not exactly known for being shy or retiring - eh, Ken? Yarrr!
      > That's in
      > > > person. And that's when I'm actively learning or am comfortable
      > with the
      > > > subject matter (having *earned* some kind of 'expert status'
      > myself).
      > > >
      > > > Yes, I'm a newbie to Scrum. The company I work for is new at
      > having *any*
      > > > particular methodology, with management ranging from command &
      > control to
      > > > waterfall to seat-of-the-pants and now Scrum. A few of us have
      > been
      > > > implementing Scrum since we got back from class in July - with
      > varying degrees
      > > > of success. So far the main thing I've found is that the honesty
      > of scrum is
      > > > paramount, personally important and *addictive*, and Ken, you're
      > right, it's NOT
      > > > easy. AND I hope I'm never asked to give it up.
      > > >
      > > > Back to the question: I but simply lurk because I find that many
      > of the issues
      > > > we are encountering *are* being addressed here without me having
      > to ask the
      > > > questions. AND I do find that a lot of the postings get into the
      > niceties of
      > > > precision and do appear to be debating nits and showing off
      > knowledge - which is
      > > > somewhat intimidating and off-putting - and IMO that happens in
      > all lists.
      > > >
      > > > Once in awhile, though, there is that gem that hits *precisely*
      > the issue I am
      > > > dealing with - and those that do, my friends, get passed around
      > our limited
      > > > group of new scrum masters - as we do try to share the learnings,
      > and not all of
      > > > us have the time to review this ever-more-active list.
      > > >
      > > > Having said that, now I'm going to retreat into the lurker's
      > alley for awhile
      > > > more...
      > > >
      > > > ~dawn~
      > > >

      > > > *********** QUOTE ***********
      > > >
      > > > On 11/30/2004 at 10:00 PM quoth Michael Spayd:

    • Gary F
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 7, 2004
        --- Dawn <dawn@...> wrote:

        > Dividing into multiple forums as was suggested does feel unnatural
        > and, as
        > somebody pointed out, would result in confusion as to what list would
        > give
        > the best experience. AND would result in a lot of good information

        A number of people have mentioned the confusion and balkanization that
        would result from multiple forums. I disagree.

        Confusion as to the appropriate forum is essentially the same problem
        as with confusion as to what keyword to put into the subject. People
        who are using the keywords as filters are in the same situation as
        people who only subscribe to a subset of the lists/forums.

        The (bad) balkanization problem is a result of both divisions that
        aren't well defined and the technology. Mailing lists and news groups
        are particularly prone to this problem, but other online forums can
        reduce or even eliminate the problem. Many bboards allow discussions
        to be moved from one forum (really a subforum) to another.

        Personally, my favorite is the Propsero technology, use by many
        services and available at DelphiForums for individuals and groups.
        See, for example, Inifinite Loops (general programming discussion) at
        http://forums.delphiforums.com/infinite_loops/messages or the About
        Linux forum at http://forums.about.com/ab-linux/messages .

        My point is that these are all problems that can be solved. To borrow
        from Ken Schwaber's first exercise at the Scrum class, we should be
        looking at this issue from the "yes, and..." perspective, not the "yes,
        but ..." perspective.

        Gary

        http://my.yahoo.com