Re: [scrumdevelopment] Has anyone seen this IEEE study that shows that Kanban outperform Scrum?

  • Alan Dayley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2012
      I will have to read more about it, thanks.

      I would expect such a result to be the case for many companies. Scrum (or whatever framework or way of working) is not perfect for everyone. And not everyone is in a place to use Scrum (or whatever way of working) to high effect at every time.

      Alan

      On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:18 AM, "jessicacp23" <jessicacp23@...> wrote:

      Hi all,
      Has anyone seen this IEEE study from Oslo that shows that Kanban outperform Scrum?
      Jessica

      Quantifying the Effect of Using Kanban vs. Scrum: An Industry Case Study

      ISSN: 0740-7459
      Dag Sjøberg, University of Oslo , Oslo
      Anders Johnsen, Software Innovation, Oslo
      Jørgen Solberg, Software Innovation, Oslo

      Dag Sjøberg, Anders Johnsen, Jørgen Solberg, "Quantifying the Effect of Using Kanban vs. Scrum: An Industry Case Study," IEEE Software, 26 June 2012. IEEE computer Society Digital Library. IEEE Computer Society, <http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MS.2012.110>

      Many claims about the usefulness of various processes or methods, such as Scrum and Kanban, have been stated in agile and lean software communities. However, these claims are rarely supported by objective data or empirical investigations. In contrast, this article aims to demonstrate that the effect of processes or methods (here: Scrum versus Kanban) can be evaluated and compared on the basis of objective data. We analyzed data of more than 12,000 work items collected over the years 2009-2011 in a medium-sized software company. The company used Scrum from 2007 to autumn 2010, at which point they changed to Kanban. By using Kanban instead of Scrum, the company almost halved the lead time, reduced the number of weighted bugs by 10%, improved productivity by 21% for PBIs, and reduced productivity by 11% for bugs. Consequently, Kanban seems to outperform Scrum in this company. However, the results should be interpreted with caution because the use of Kanban succeeded the use of Scrum. To acquire more knowledge about the performance of different agile or lean methods, scholars should conduct similar studies in different organizations in different application domains and with people of different cultures and competences.