RE: [scrumdevelopment] Help - looking for recent "metaphor" article

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2004
      I checked that metaphor more and it was a bit of false match on "software is
      like.."

      Here's a link: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/041116/165431_1.html

      The statement it makes is that our "software is like tivo for streaming
      media." So it's a description of their product, not the software process
      itself.

      --Mike

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Clarke Ching" <lists@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I missed the start of this thread so odds are I'm completely off
        target
        > here.
        >
        > I recently discovered an analogoy or metaphor (what's the
        difference?) for
        > the waterfall way of doing things.
        >
        > I'm sure there are many things wrong with it and I may be accussed
        of
        > sharing too much informaiton ... but ... take a look.
        >
        > Warning: it involves dried apricots, the band Simple Minds and
        rather
        > hurried taxi trip:
        >
        > http://www.clarkeching.com/2004/11/simple_minds_dr.html
        >
        > Clarke

        Fascinating analogy! However, for the analogy to be meaningful, you
        would want the reader to infer that if you eat 5 dried apricots you
        go to the bathroom for a 3 minute visit, and if you eat 10 dried
        apricots you go to the bathroom for a 8 minute visit, and if you eat
        20 dried apricots you run to the bathroom and stay in there for half
        an hour.

        I'm not sure dried apricots have that effect. That is the effect of
        doing / not doing incremental integration and testing though, which
        is what you're working to communicate.

        And I am stumped over one thing --- don't they have bathrooms at
        Simple Minds concerts? ;-)
      • Deb
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2004
          So, it seems the short answer is:
          Nobody recognises the article I'm looking for, from my description.
          Oh well. I had started reading it and somehow lost track of it.
          Well, if anyone spots it on the web, please let me know.
          Thanks!
          deb

          PS: didn't find the link I wanted, but there has been lots of
          interesting conversation on the topic - bonus! :-)

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
          wrote:
          > I checked that metaphor more and it was a bit of false match
          on "software is
          > like.."
          >
          > Here's a link: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/041116/165431_1.html
          >
          > The statement it makes is that our "software is like tivo for
          streaming
          > media." So it's a description of their product, not the software
          process
          > itself.
          >
          > --Mike

        • woynam
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2004
            Given the recent string of "hot" threads, I'd propose the following:

            Agile software development is like teen sex:

            - Everybody is talking about it
            - Most are not doing it
            - Those that are doing it, are doing it wrong

            ;-)

            Mark

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deborah@h...> wrote:

            > I recently saw a blog or article somewhere (???) recently, where
            > someone in this crowd was reflecting on suitable metaphors for what
            we
            > do. Specifically, I believe it was an alternative to the
            manufacturing
            > metaphor. Might have been following OOPSLA in Vancouver?
            >
            > Can anyone suggest what I might be looking for and where I can find
            > it? I've searched my blogs and the Agile Alliance library to no
            avail...

            > I think I've reached saturation... or old timers disease is
            starting :-)
            > deb
          • Hubert Smits
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hi Todd,

              While building an Internet Bank in Scotland the metaphore used by the
              team was that of a production line. On a production line a car (for
              example) goes from station to station. Each station adds a nut or bolt
              and at the end of the line a car rolls of. The process in the bank,
              and the IT system supporting it was based on this idea: every station
              adds something to the product (a mortgage or a loan). E.g. a station
              provides information (rates, payback periods etc). Then a station
              takes details of the customer and the desired product. Next one does a
              credit check. Then paperwork is printed. Paperwork checked. Money
              released. Postings made to the GL etc. etc.

              Is that a metaphor you were looking for?

              --Hubert

              On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:47:34 -0800, todd <todd@...> wrote:

              > Joseph Pelrine wrote:
              >
              > > At 20:50 27.11.2004, you wrote:
              > >
              > > >I think any thing of any complexity becomes its own metaphor. Saying
              > > >software is like X doesn't add much light. It reflects more of the story
              > > >teller than the story.
              > >
              > > I beg to disagree.
              >
              > No need to beg. I don't really disagree with much of what you said, yet
              > i have not seen
              > useful broad scale software related metaphors. Perhaps you can share
              > some you like?

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dion Stewart
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 1, 2004
                Deb,

                Could these be it?

                http://www.domaindrivendesign.org/wiki/?page=SoftwareDevelopmentIsLike

                http://domaindrivendesign.org/articles/blog/
                evans_eric_software_is_not_like_that.html

                Dion

                On Wednesday, December 1, 2004, at 01:20 PM, Deb wrote:

                > So, it seems the short answer is:
                > Nobody recognises the article I'm looking for, from my description.
                > Oh well. I had started reading it and somehow lost track of it.
                > Well, if anyone spots it on the web, please let me know.
                > Thanks!
                > deb
              • Mike Dwyer
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 1, 2004
                  15 yards, woyman unnecessary metaphor. Penalty to be taken from the time
                  your users ask for another insane last minute change.

                  (^8

                  Michael F. Dwyer

                  Mike.Dwyer1@...

                  Given the recent string of "hot" threads, I'd propose the following:

                  Agile software development is like teen sex:

                  - Everybody is talking about it
                  - Most are not doing it
                  - Those that are doing it, are doing it wrong

                  ;-)

                  Mark

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deborah@h...> wrote:

                  > I recently saw a blog or article somewhere (???) recently, where
                  > someone in this crowd was reflecting on suitable metaphors for what
                  we
                  > do. Specifically, I believe it was an alternative to the
                  manufacturing
                  > metaphor. Might have been following OOPSLA in Vancouver?
                  >
                  > Can anyone suggest what I might be looking for and where I can find
                  > it? I've searched my blogs and the Agile Alliance library to no
                  avail...

                  > I think I've reached saturation... or old timers disease is
                  starting :-)
                  > deb

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Karl Scotland
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Ah. That's a shame.
                    Mind you, it makes me wonder whether I could come up with a tv related
                    metaphor that would really work where I am, or whether it might be a bit
                    contrived.

                    Karl

                  • Joseph Pelrine
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 2, 2004
                      At 09:51 02.12.2004, you wrote:

                      >Ah. That's a shame.
                      >Mind you, it makes me wonder whether I could come up with a tv related
                      >metaphor that would really work where I am, or whether it might be a bit
                      >contrived.

                      How about starting with something like "writing software is like working
                      for the BBC", and see how far that analogy gets you ;-)

                      Cheers

                      --
                      Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
                      MetaProg GmbH

                      You don't become enormously successful without encountering some really
                      interesting problems.
                      - Mark Victor Hansen
                    • Karl Scotland
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 2, 2004

                        That could get me into a whole lot of trouble as I'm now working for a
                        competitor (in so far as the BBC has competitors :)

                        Karl
                      • todd
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 2, 2004
                          Hubert, i think there are a lot of tactical metaphors like you describe.
                          They
                          help us bootstrap from one domain to another. But what about your software
                          do i really know now?

                          If you are describing the system to a muggle then you have given them a
                          hand up
                          in understanding.

                          As a software developer i see a universe of choices, decisions, options,
                          and implementations
                          that could lead to an infinite set of concrete systems. When i dig into
                          the real system it
                          forms its own domain. In time you will be using your system as the
                          source domain for other metaphoric
                          mappings. It's a cyclic folding and unfolding and of mappings. Pick a
                          different
                          point in the cycle and you will see and understand something differently.

                          Where is the true metaphor? That's like looking at a hologram and saying
                          where is
                          the true image. It is implicate in all parts of the system.

                        • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 2, 2004
                            The Stone's "you can't always get what you want" is what I keep on hearing when business people ask for somethings.

                            John Sebastian's "Did you ever have to make up your mind." are the words I sing to folks who want to collapse a 9 month project into 1 month.

                            But the question is are these metaphors or just something simile-r to them.

                            --
                            Mike Dwyer

                            "I Keep six faithful serving-men
                            Who serve me well and true: