RE: Re[2]: [scrumdevelopment] Question

  • Michael Vizdos
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      Been following the thread through this morning.  This is something I see on a lot of different discussion groups.  Part of the way I learn is through repetition and having people ask "basic" questions in a different light (this is just one way for me).  It is still amazing what I can learn from what some people consider those "basic" questions.

      Maybe the answer is to listen and learn from all the people in this group -- without getting into any perceived intimidating threads.  As for the lurkers out there, thanks for reading all these threads.  In a word -- participate :).  If you feel somewhat intimidated about asking this group -- email anyone directly and I am sure you will receive some great replies (and suggestions to move the question to this group).

      As with any self-organizing team, we'll see where this leads!

      - Michael Vizdos

      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 7, 2004
        --- Dawn <dawn@...> wrote:

        > Dividing into multiple forums as was suggested does feel unnatural
        > and, as
        > somebody pointed out, would result in confusion as to what list would
        > give
        > the best experience. AND would result in a lot of good information

        A number of people have mentioned the confusion and balkanization that
        would result from multiple forums. I disagree.

        Confusion as to the appropriate forum is essentially the same problem
        as with confusion as to what keyword to put into the subject. People
        who are using the keywords as filters are in the same situation as
        people who only subscribe to a subset of the lists/forums.

        The (bad) balkanization problem is a result of both divisions that
        aren't well defined and the technology. Mailing lists and news groups
        are particularly prone to this problem, but other online forums can
        reduce or even eliminate the problem. Many bboards allow discussions
        to be moved from one forum (really a subforum) to another.

        Personally, my favorite is the Propsero technology, use by many
        services and available at DelphiForums for individuals and groups.
        See, for example, Inifinite Loops (general programming discussion) at
        http://forums.delphiforums.com/infinite_loops/messages or the About
        Linux forum at http://forums.about.com/ab-linux/messages .

        My point is that these are all problems that can be solved. To borrow
        from Ken Schwaber's first exercise at the Scrum class, we should be
        looking at this issue from the "yes, and..." perspective, not the "yes,
        but ..." perspective.

        Gary

        http://my.yahoo.com