FW: [scrumdevelopment] Question

  • Michael Bannen
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      Message
      Dittos to what Michael said below.

      My experience with lists and boards comes primarily from fitness sites.
      There is only one site in my experience that is GREAT. Great in that it supports hard core fitness nuts, total newbies and everything in between. It provides a forum for serious, detailed discussions of exercise physiology, mechanics and nutrition, and not-so-detailed or sophisticated questions like 'what's a deadlift' or my favorite question from today 'can you rip your arms clean out of your body by doing deadlifts'.

      The forum format is more conductive, again my personal experience, to these diverse thought streams than is an email list. What also differentiate the board I'm referring to from all others is a very strong global moderator who gently nudges people in the right direction when their posts get off (forum) topic or off 'attitude', and doesn't tolerate any seriously unproductive posts (e.g., personal attacks).  With between 1 and 2 million hits a day, it's fair to say the site is doing some things good enough to consider emulating.

      One way to escape debate on this would be to just set it up and see if it worked. How about a 30 day sprint to do just that?

      - Michael Bannen

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        Message
        Pilot: As a pilot, over the next 10 days I'm setting up ScrumForums.com as a scrum bulletin board.
        Competition: the site is not intended to be competition w/this list, but rather an exploration of more effective means of supporting greater and more diverse interest in SCRUM. If this functionality is eventually added to the scrum alliance site, then we can shut this site down, or....whatever.
        Moderators: I'm hopeful that some of the very senior Scrum folks on here will agree to moderate.
        Forums: If you have ideas on the initial forums that should be created, please email me.
        Reviewers: If you don't have ideas on topics but are willing to 'vote' on them, please send me your email address and I will contact you off line.
        Push back: please push back if you think this is not a worthwhile exercise. I'll do it anyway, but all feedback is useful.

        - Michael

      • Christian E. Gruber
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
          Kudos for initiative, Micheal.

          Wow. Lots to think about. Most of which I'll post in a different
          message, since it's about the overall topic. I will just suggest that a
          good moderator is not necessarily an experienced Scrum practitioner,
          though B might often imply A. Good moderators are people who can, in
          the words of an old friend "encourage the meek and quell the
          loquacious". Such a person may but might not be a Scrum old-timer.
          Just keep it all in mind.

          For forum site such as this, I'd recommend a newbie "getting started'
          forum with a "sticky" FAQ, and a regular committment of its moderator to
          comb the thread and pull out FAQ material.

          The only push-back I'd have is that I think having a list in which
          all... er... Scrumbags?... can participate is entirely worthwhile. The
          intimidation factor needs to be addressed, and tangents need to be
          handled, but overall the community building of this sort of forum cannot
          be overestimated. As long as this effect can be replicated in the fora,
          then it's not really push-back, as much as a requirement for the backlog.

          regards,
          Christian Gruber

          Michael Bannen wrote:

          > *_Pilot_*: As a pilot, over the next 10 days I'm setting up
          > ScrumForums.com as a scrum bulletin board.
          > *_Competition_*: the site is _not_ intended to be competition w/this
          > list, but rather an exploration of more effective means of supporting
          > greater and more diverse interest in SCRUM. If this functionality is
          > eventually added to the scrum alliance site, then we can shut this
          > site down, or....whatever.
          > *_Moderators_*: I'm hopeful that some of the very senior Scrum folks
          > on here will agree to moderate.
          > *_Forums_*: If you have ideas on the initial forums that should be
          > created, please email me.
          > *_Reviewers_*: If you don't have ideas on topics but are willing to
          > 'vote' on them, please send me your email address and I will contact
          > you off line.
          > *_Push back_*: please push back if you think this is not a worthwhile
          > exercise. I'll do it anyway, but all feedback is useful.
          >
          > - Michael

        • Gary F
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2004
            --- Michael Bannen <mbannen@...> wrote:

            > Pilot: As a pilot, over the next 10 days I'm setting up
            > ScrumForums.com

            "scrumforums.com could not be found." The ten days aren't up. My
            guess is that the DNS entries haven't been made or distributed yet, but
            it might be some other configuration problem. The WhoIS at Network
            Solutions does know about it, so it's not a spelling error.

            Is this just recent, did I miss a note pointing this out, or does the
            lack of any comment on the unavailability of the web site indicate that
            everyone thinks it's a great idea, but no one is actually going to
            check it out?

            Gary

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • mbannen@topminds.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2004
              DNS entries haven't populated yet...I don't know what the deal is. I've
              been doing development on another server anyhow.

              Friday you can either go to ScrumForums.com or forums.scrumforums.com.