Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Master Interview Questions

  • Ken 'classmaker' Ritchie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
      Agile Scout posted a list for interviewing potential ScrumMasters.
      http://agilescout.com/essential-scrummaster-interview-questions/

      Also see Scrumology for a list you can use to screen the potential employer.
      http://www.scrumology.net/2009/07/05/10-questions-for-your-scrummaster-interview/

      Remember, an inter-view should be a two-way discovery conversation.

      Good luck!
      --Ken ;-)

      Ken Ritchie (Atlanta, GA)

      On Jul 4, 2012, at 23:18, Peeyush Rathkanthiwar <peeyush77@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      Can some one provide essential interview questions for the position of scrum master. That would certainly help...

      Thanks in advance...

      PR

      Sent from my iPad

    • Johanna Rothman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
        Have you done a job analysis for *your* Scrum Master?

        Not all Scrum Masters are the same. Some facilitate just one project, some facilitate several. Some act more like a project manager, some don't. Some work closely with the product owner/customer, some work more closely with a team. You need to know what your SM's deliverables are before you can ask for behavior-description interview questions.

        See my template for a job analysis at http://www.jrothman.com/about/templates/, the _Hiring Geeks That Fit_ templates.

        I have a bunch of potential questions on my Hiring Technical People blog, http://www.jrothman.com/blog/htp

        Johanna

        --

        Rothman Consulting Group, Inc.     781-641-4046

        Speaker, Author, Consultant - Managing Product Development

        http://www.ayeconference.com, Nov 4-8, 2012

        Hiring Geeks That Fit, http://leanpub.com/hiringgeeks

      • Don Gray
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
          Johanna,

          > Have you done a job analysis for *your* Scrum Master?

          This begs the question: what about the team? If the team exists, how
          does the ScrumMaster interact with them? A client asked me to work with
          a "dysfunctional team" as the ScrumMaster. I found the team not
          dysfunctional. It did have two very strong personalities. Helping them
          understand their "team" nature helped them work together better.

          > Some act more like a project manager,

          And this applies to the ScrumMaster prior to me. The team ejected him
          after 10 weeks.

          > some don't. Some work closely with the product owner/customer, some
          > work more closely with a team.

          This may be true. I don't see it as either/or. I like Michael James'
          Example Checklist for ScrumMasters
          http://www.scrummasterchecklist.org/pdf/scrummaster_checklist09.pdf I
          share it with every ScrumMaster I work with.

          At the risk of hijacking the thread: What should a ScrumMaster do? As I
          remember my CSM class it includes:

          1. Facilitate the five ceremonies.
          2. Help the team remove impediments.

          Most companies I work with add more. Probably because they don't
          understand what "removing impediments" includes. See Michael's list for
          some ideas.

          --
          Don Gray (336)414-4645
          http://www.donaldegray.com

          He who knows others is clever;
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          Lao-Tzu

          Learn about yourself at the AYE Conference
          AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
          Nov 4 - 8, 2012
        • Mark Levison
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
            Interesting I suggest that teams/PO be the one's to interview potential ScrumMaster's. They will be the ones to work most closely with that person.

            Cheers
            Mark
          • Pierre Neis
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
              Hi

              Pierre E. Neis Scrum/Lean Improver

              WE & Co , the Collab Lab |  PLöRK
              Mobile: (+352) 661 SCRUMS
              Luxembourg - Brussels - Paris - Zürich - London - Amsterdam - Barcelona - Saigon

              http://meetwith.me/pierreneis

              Blogger Twitter LinkedIn SlideShare XING Google Plus Viadeo
              Contact me: Skype pierre.neis
              TwitterLatest tweet: Play 4 Agile for a better world! is out! http://t.co/Kxq7mhDM Follow @elPedroMajor Reply Retweet   19:35 Jul-05