Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Extensions Being Retired

  • David Starr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2012
      Scrum is all about inspect and adapt, right?

      This is just an example of empirical product development, I hope.

      David Starr
      Scrum.org, Chief Craftsman - Improving the Profession of Software Development
      elegantcode.com | @elegantcoder  | scrum.org | @scrumdotorg

      On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Bret Wortman <bret.wortman@...> wrote:

      Wow. I'm impressed by your ability to set aside agenda and ego (and I mean that in the best sense) and recognize that what started with the best of intentions wasn't working out. Most of us can't do that and it speaks volumes that you were able to discontinue a program with so much time and effort invested.

      I applaud the efforts of everyone involved.

      Bret Wortman

      On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM, David Starr <david@...> wrote:

      Scrum.org is suspending the Scrum extension program, effective immediately. Scrum extensions were conceived as a way to provide community-driven guidance for Scrum techniques that go beyond the basic rules of Scrum set forth by the Scrum Guide.

      Organizations new to Scrum or struggling in adopting agile practices can benefit greatly from the wisdom and guidance of more experienced agile practitioners. Scrum extensions were proposed as a mechanism for delivering that guidance through community-vetted documentation of proven effective practices.

      Although we at Scrum.org recognize the demand for such guidance, we have learned that extensions are not the desired way to provide it. We are grateful to those who proposed extensions to the community. Accordingly, Scrum.org will be happy to continue hosting the extensions that were proposed albeit as whitepapers, not endorsed "extensions" to the Scrum framework.

      Scrum.org remains committed to helping provide tools and resources for organizations wanting to transition to Scrum or to constantly improve beyond the basics. We look forward to identifying an alternate method for delivering guidance with the wisdom we’ve gained in the Scrum extension experiment.

      --
      Bret Wortman
      The Damascus Group

    • nkhanna2006
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 5, 2012
        Hello everyone,

        I have mixed feelings about this. Out team had started using 1 of the extensions, after some adaption, during the daily scrum. This is the feature-driven extension.

        When I saw that there was an actual proposal and others were using this, this offered some validation on our team being agile and thinking beyond the 3-question format.

        I am pleased, though, that the extensions are being retained as "white papers" -- I know others reading may also benefit from them, or connect to what is happening at their team.

        On another note, I also think that should the extensions have been formalized, it would have impacted some certifications (minor, as the extensions were few, and simple). This has been avoided.

        Regards,
        Nitin.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 14, 2012
          David,

          Has Scrum.org done a root cause analysis of any kind on why the extensions didn't work?

          I'd be interested to hear some of the lessons learned in this.

          -------
          Charles Bradley
          http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16, 2012
            It's pretty simple.
            1. We confirmed the need is there.
            2. The mechanism we tried to service the need was not the right one. People found it hard to consume.
            3. Quality of several submissions was not sufficient.
            4. People unfamiliar with Scrum found the name confusing.
            5. There are many existing and potentially competing options out there. Agile Atlas looks promising, Agile Alliance resources, etc.
            So we learned some things. And we'll do better in the future. It would be cool to collaborate on this stuff instead of spooling up a new instance of a reference.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 16, 2012
              On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM, David Starr <david@...> wrote:

              It's pretty simple.
              1. We confirmed the need is there.
              2. The mechanism we tried to service the need was not the right one. People found it hard to consume.
              3. Quality of several submissions was not sufficient.
              4. People unfamiliar with Scrum found the name confusing.
              5. There are many existing and potentially competing options out there. Agile Atlas looks promising, Agile Alliance resources, etc.
              So we learned some things. And we'll do better in the future. It would be cool to collaborate on this stuff instead of spooling up a new instance of a reference.

              Collaboration is a great idea. I suspect Agile Atlas would welcome more perspectives. FYI I'm a contributor not an organizer/editor. Ping Ron.

              Cheers
              Mark - human

              David Starr
              Scrum.org, Chief Craftsman - Improving the Profession of Software Development
              elegantcode.com | @elegantcoder  | scrum.org | @scrumdotorg

              FYI Didn't Ken ban sigs here? :-)

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 17, 2012
                  David,

                  On Jul 17, 2012, at 12:50 AM, David Starr wrote:

                  Re: sigs. Didn't know that, but will be conscience of it in the future.

                  I have always used sigs here and have never had a problem with it.

                  Yin and Yang I figure.
                    -- Tom Jeffries

                • Dinesh Sharma
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 17, 2012
                    One of my friend got his hand slapped (after 1 year of implementation) to promote principle based approach to Agile. His boss wants to promote factory model where offshore companies are used to churn out the code and has separate teams to do requirement, architecture and design. Does agile principles works in these kind of situations, where senior management don't want to loose command and control?

                    Thanks & Regards,
                    Dinesh Sharma

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 24, 2012
                      Dinesh,

                      In my experience, no.  If you've exhausted all positive, professional, and well intentioned change agent type strategies, and some person of significant power is fighting against Agile, then you have a decision to make.  You can either stay and put up with it or try to outlast the resistor, or you can leave and find a more Agile friendly company.

                      "You can *Change* Your Organization or Change *Your Organization*." -- Martin Fowler

                      You might also find this "diary of an Agile change agent" type article interesting:

                      -------
                      Charles Bradley
                      http://www.ScrumCrazy.com