Re: Express checkout during a sprint

  • JackM
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14, 2012
      The best way is to allocate some capacity each sprint for this. figure out how many story points worth of interrupts each sprint. Also make sure you have buffer stories ready to go to add to the sprint in case there are no interrupts.

      Of course no interrupts would be best but sometimes they're unavoidable. Generally speaking, the longer you make the sprint the more susceptible the team is to interrupts.

      We manage multiple teams successfully with this approach.

      Cheers
      Jack
      agilebuddy.com
      blog.agilebuddy.com

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 14, 2012
        I don't like allocating capacity up front for expedited issues for two reasons:
        1.) I think it hides likely dysfunction (low system quality, or irresponsibly late planning)
        2.) I think it makes the disruption cost of the team less visible.
        3.) I think it masquerades likely dysfunction as "business as usual" and as such condones the (likely bad)behavior.

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

        The best way is to allocate some capacity each sprint for this. figure out how many story points worth of interrupts each sprint. Also make sure you have buffer stories ready to go to add to the sprint in case there are no interrupts.

        Of course no interrupts would be best but sometimes they're unavoidable. Generally speaking, the longer you make the sprint the more susceptible the team is to interrupts.

        We manage multiple teams successfully with this approach.

        Cheers
        Jack
        agilebuddy.com
        blog.agilebuddy.com

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "fortheloveofmathematics" <omaeva@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > How does everyone handle high priority items that come in during the middle of a sprint?
        >
        > Currently both of my teams run one week sprints.  Coming up we will be all switching to two week sprints because of the type of work we are doing.
        >
        > Now a few of our product people are worrying that they won't be able to get high priority items in mid-sprint.  Part of this is unavoidable because we make all our revenue on advertising and when a deal is made we have strict deadlines.
        >
        > I would prefer not interrupt sprints for that kind of stuff, and mentioned we could possibly allocate 10-15% of our sprint to those type of items and if they don't arise work on our tech debt.
        >
        > Any other ways of handling that?
        >
        > Thank you

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Oksana Schwartz
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2012
          Thank you everyone for your advice, quite a bit to think about.

          We still have quite a few issues, out testing isn't automated entirely (huge work in progress since it's never been done in the company).
          We do have a PO who is inexperienced with Scrum, but I ended up having a talk with her to push back on items more.
          We are closing week 1 of the two week sprint and no major interruptions, which is great.

          We'll definitely have a retrospective after this and see where it has gotten us.

          thank you