trends in contract requirements

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2012
      People often cite contractual impediments to Agility. In some circles this is changing. Nowadays you hear about Federal contracts requiring Scrum/Agile while also including contradictory requirements. But I do think things are moving forward.

      While not about Scrum, NASA's contract with SpaceX has some interesting lessons, according to
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303552104577438262928543468.html

      > Friday's by-the-book splashdown in many ways amounted to validation of the lean management style and nimble corporate culture that the 40-year-old Mr. Musk has stressed. Known for pushing engineers hard to solve problems and maintain schedules, the company says it developed Dragon "from a blank sheet [of paper] to its first mission" in four years.

      > NASA's hands-off approach with the unmanned capsule focused on achieving clearly defined goals, rather than mandating technical or production steps to get there.

      > NASA retained final veto over docking with the space station. And that goal was reached at a small fraction of the time and cost it likely would have taken had the agency used its traditional contracting process.

      --mj
      http://ScrumTrainingSeries.com