RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Software in the news and selling "Agile"

  • Clarke Ching
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 29, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      I have a suggestion ... but I'm not sure it is a good one.

      The suggestion: we setup a new (moderated) yahoo group called something like "SoftwareSuccessesAndDisastersInTheNews" where anyone can post links to software successes and disasters that make the news (such as the examples below).  It would be RSS readable.

      The nagging doubts: is this a bit miserable? focusing on the negative?  Are there too many yahoo groups already?  Is anyone interested (I am)?

      Any thoughts?

      Clarke

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 29, 2004
        This an excellent idea. If run correctly, I see it becoming a sort
        of online Dear Abby for s/w development managers. Something like: " I
        am running a team of engineers on a s/w development project whose
        requirements were well defined to the A and B level when the WBS was
        baselined. Now my customer wants something totally different than
        what was contracted for, but because our contract was FFP, we can't
        make any modifications without re-writing major portions of the
        contract. What do I do, HELP! Signed, RUPManagerInHell"

        Or: "My company assigned me the task of upgrading our ERP system from
        Peoplesoft of SAP with a J2EE interface. We worked very carefully to
        create business anti-patterns to guide our discussions with our end-
        users, but the end-users went off on tangents whenever we presented
        them. How do I find out what my end-users want?, Signed, XPbeginner".

        Talk about a great way to show potential managers that SCRUM and
        Agile works.

        Mike Van, PMP

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Clarke Ching" <lists@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I have a suggestion ... but I'm not sure it is a good one.
        >
        > The suggestion: we setup a new (moderated) yahoo group called
        something like
        > "SoftwareSuccessesAndDisastersInTheNews" where anyone can post
        links to
        > software successes and disasters that make the news (such as the
        examples
        > below). It would be RSS readable.
        >
        > The nagging doubts: is this a bit miserable? focusing on the
        negative? Are
        > there too many yahoo groups already? Is anyone interested (I am)?
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Clarke
        >

        > _____

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294mua4j/M=298184.5584357.6650215.300117
        6/D=gr

        oups/S=1707209021:HM/EXP=1101234964/A=2434970/R=0/SIG=11edksnhv/*http:
        //www.
        > netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185402> click here
        >
        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=298184.5584357.6650215.3001176/D=groups/S=
        > :HM/A=2434970/rand=475531684>
        >

        > _____
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Steve Freeman
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2004
          As a warm-up, you might want to subscribe to comp.risks.

          S.

          Clarke Ching wrote:
          > I have a suggestion ... but I'm not sure it is a good one.
          >
          > The suggestion: we setup a new (moderated) yahoo group called something like
          > "SoftwareSuccessesAndDisastersInTheNews" where anyone can post links to
          > software successes and disasters that make the news (such as the examples
          > below). It would be RSS readable.
          >
          > The nagging doubts: is this a bit miserable? focusing on the negative? Are
          > there too many yahoo groups already? Is anyone interested (I am)?
          >
          > Any thoughts?
        • Boris Gloger
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 30, 2004
            good idea, but again a new group to read ;(