POTENTIALLY OFF-TOPIC: Using iterative feedback loops to improve performance

  • Simon Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2012
      Hello all,

      I prepended the subject line as "POTENTIALLY OFF-TOPIC" because my link below:

      a) Goes back to my employers website
      b) Points to a document I wrote in my own time with great generic information, but also some product specific details

      I didn't want to be accused of pimping on this forum having just joined. Please stop reading and mute this thread if you already feel inclined to yell at me.

      ----

      I've been doing a lot of research into improving individual and team performance using "short-cycle" iterative feedback loops.

      The application of this method is for IT Service Management processes, but is equally applicable to Software Development practices. The organisation I work intend to use this in our Scrum process to improve quality.

      The premise of Coaching Loops is that it's better to provide feedback early on in the process (i.e. the process of completing a story) than at the end when the outcome is already determined. With early coaching it is possible to influence the outcome of the process rather than judge the potentially negative outcome.

      A lot of the ideas have come from Agile practices and from lurking on this mailing list also.

      I hope there are some generic ideas here for discussion - I'd love to hear your opinions as people that are interested in high productivity and are outside of the ITSM world.

      Short blog post:

      Straight to the 5MB PDF White paper

      Thanks

      Simon