RE: [scrumdevelopment] Use Cases / User Stories and Solid Requirements

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004

      I finally got a chance to read this article on “Generating Complete, Unambiguous, and Verifiable Requirements from Stories, Scenarios and Use Cases.”

      It’s well-written but completely misses the point. For example, he gives an example story on p. 29 (page 3 of the actual text) that is really about 10 stories. It wouldn’t fit on a card even if I cut out the typed article text. He also says that systems built from stories are “like a house built on shifting sands; without a firm foundation of proper requirements, the architecture, design, implementation and testing of the resulting system suffers.”  Well, maybe if all you do is use user stories and don’t do any testing. Things like test-driven development prevent this problem.

      His main point seems to be that if you write your use cases in a style of “The user does…” and then “The system shall….” that you can extract those steps performed by the system and use them as “Complete, Unambiguous, and Verifiable Requirements.”  But this is really just a way of converting use cases into an IEEE 830-style software requirements specification. That doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

      If I wanted to generate “Complete, Unambiguous, and Verifiable Requirements” from user stories I would talk to my customer/product owner often so that what she wants becomes complete and unambiguous to me (by the end of the sprint, not the start of it) and then I’d work in an acceptance-test-driven manner, writing my tests first in FitNesse or something like it so that my understanding of her needs became verifiable. That seems a lot easier and more effective than writing stiff use cases just so I can turn every other line into a Software Requirements Specification.

      --Mike Cohn

      www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

      www.userstories.com