Re: What values are you using for Business Value

  • gregc
    Message 1 of 10 , May 10, 2012
      Yves,

      I was glad to hear you say you usually are trying to assess business value at the epic level as Kurt already pointed our it can be really difficult to non-meaningful at the story level. As to your question of whether I know what's most common in the industry, I do not.

      I do want to take a step back because as I'm reading between the lines in this thread, I'm wondering if your organization is clear on its strategy because business value needs to tie to that. For example, if you make commercial software and an opportunity presents itself to build a custom application for a new customer for which the total market for this application is one, it may deliver value (ie revenue) but it won't help you deliver on your strategy.

      The lenses I described previously are for looking at BV are at the feature level. You need to have already prioritized your market segments and the users in those segments. Has this happened?

      You also need to know what your company is looking to achieve. For example, if your business growth has stalled, then you need to prioritize new customer needs over existing customer needs. I don't know who gets to vote in the BV question, but this is where support will always prioritize existing customer needs because this is what they know about. Sales will prioritize the last objection they heard. Without the strategy to anchor people, people won't see the big picture (and you can't blame them).

      What troubles me about the system you described is it's not clear that there is a framework against which to define value. One tool that many of our clients like that provides this framework is a prioritization matrix. It's an excel spreadsheet that you put your criteria into and then judge your epics, features or projects against. This is a subjective method even through it will kick out a number :-) I can send you a copy if you'd like or you can download it from our website http://www.280group.com/resource-central/free-templates/feature-priority-matrix2/ but if you download it you'll get a lot more than just the matrix.

      -greg