Re: [scrumdevelopment] Status Meetings

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2012
      This is brilliant I'm going to share this list with my CSM class today :-)

      Cheers
      Mark

      On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:

      Document minutes of the meeting (and send it to others, or just keep it for historic purpose) , indicate the status (Red,Orange,Green) of the project in the document

      On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      In the Scrum Guide, it says:"...The Daily Scrum is not a status meeting..."

      AFAIK, these are the characteristics of old school status meetings
      1. Command and controller moderates by asking individuals for updates on work items.
      2. Command and controller often questions individuals on their methods and obstacles.
      3. Others in the meeting question individuals on their methods and obstacles.
      4. Others in the meeting try to help, with better methods and obstacle resolution .
      5. Often times some document was updated based on status info.
      6. It usually lasted about 5-? minutes per individual being "statused".
      Is there any other major characteristic that anyone thinks I'm forgetting about old school status meetings?

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

    • woynam
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2012
        What on earth would red, orange, and green represent?

        Mark

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:

        > Document minutes of the meeting (and send it to others, or just keep it for
        > historic purpose) , indicate the status (Red,Orange,Green) of the project
        > in the document
        >
        > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <
        > chuck-lists2@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > In the Scrum Guide, it says:"...The Daily Scrum is not a status meeting..."
        > >
        > > AFAIK, these are the characteristics of old school status meetings
        > >
        > > 1. Command and controller moderates by asking individuals for updates
        > > on work items.
        > > 2. Command and controller often questions individuals on their methods
        > > and obstacles.
        > > 3. Others in the meeting question individuals on their methods and
        > > obstacles.
        > > 4. Others in the meeting try to help, with better methods and obstacle
        > > resolution .
        > > 5. Often times some document was updated based on status info.
        > > 6. It usually lasted about 5-? minutes per individual being "statused".
        > >
        > > Is there any other major characteristic that anyone thinks I'm forgetting
        > > about old school status meetings?
        > >

        > > -------
        > > Charles Bradley
        > > http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

      • woynam
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2012
          Wait. Let me take a stab at answering my own question.

          Green: The product backlog is growing. As we deliver valuable features to our users, they're excited by what they see, and provide valuable feedback in the form of additional feature requests. Given that the previous methodology often delivered unnecessary features after long periods of time, the users are excited about getting something useful.

          Red: The product backlog is the same size. The team is still stuck in their old ways of producing code. The functional silos remain. Nothing is delivered at the end of the Sprint, as "team" members are busy working on other projects. As nothing is delivered, the users have nothing to use, and therefore provide no enhancement requests.

          Orange: The product backlog is shrinking. We deliver working features, but the users are not used to having useful software delivered on a regular basis, so they haven't budgeted the time to review it, and provide feedback. This indicates an organizational Scrum issue, as both the development teams *and* business must change their behavior to get the maximum benefit from Scrum.

          Does this sound right?

          Mark

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@...> wrote:

          > What on earth would red, orange, and green represent?
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Document minutes of the meeting (and send it to others, or just keep it for
          > > historic purpose) , indicate the status (Red,Orange,Green) of the project
          > > in the document
          > >
          > > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <
          > > chuck-lists2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          > > >

          > > > In the Scrum Guide, it says:"...The Daily Scrum is not a status meeting..."
          > > >
          > > > AFAIK, these are the characteristics of old school status meetings
          > > >
          > > > 1. Command and controller moderates by asking individuals for updates
          > > > on work items.
          > > > 2. Command and controller often questions individuals on their methods
          > > > and obstacles.
          > > > 3. Others in the meeting question individuals on their methods and
          > > > obstacles.
          > > > 4. Others in the meeting try to help, with better methods and obstacle
          > > > resolution .
          > > > 5. Often times some document was updated based on status info.
          > > > 6. It usually lasted about 5-? minutes per individual being "statused".
          > > >
          > > > Is there any other major characteristic that anyone thinks I'm forgetting
          > > > about old school status meetings?
          > > >

          > > > -------
          > > > Charles Bradley
          > > > http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2012
            Ram - forgive me, are you being serious?

            Project Status is the results of the Sprint/Release review. Yes you can document it and send to others who couldn't be bothered to turn up but 'traffic light' status indicators are rubbish (yes, I said rubbish!).

            If some minimum subset of the PB has been specified with a given timescale (the project) and if it is now estimated that the minimum subset is not achievable, then the project is RED, otherwise it is GREEN. If it is RED then you would probably stop the project and seek to renegotiate the minimum subset or give the 'brass' the opportunity to cancel the project because it is not of sufficient value any more. DSo you wouldn't document RED, you would be knocking on the execs door at the earliest opportunity.

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:

            > Document minutes of the meeting (and send it to others, or just keep it for
            > historic purpose) , indicate the status (Red,Orange,Green) of the project
            > in the document
            >
            > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <
            > chuck-lists2@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > In the Scrum Guide, it says:"...The Daily Scrum is not a status meeting..."
            > >
            > > AFAIK, these are the characteristics of old school status meetings
            > >
            > > 1. Command and controller moderates by asking individuals for updates
            > > on work items.
            > > 2. Command and controller often questions individuals on their methods
            > > and obstacles.
            > > 3. Others in the meeting question individuals on their methods and
            > > obstacles.
            > > 4. Others in the meeting try to help, with better methods and obstacle
            > > resolution .
            > > 5. Often times some document was updated based on status info.
            > > 6. It usually lasted about 5-? minutes per individual being "statused".
            > >
            > > Is there any other major characteristic that anyone thinks I'm forgetting
            > > about old school status meetings?
            > >

            > > -------
            > > Charles Bradley
            > > http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

          • vercinget_xx
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2012
              16. People subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) pressured to lie about the "real" status, so as not to bring down the wrath of the higher-ups.

              I cannot count the number of waterfall projects I've seen that were humming along green for six months until falling off a cliff a month before launch.

              -Jeff