Re: Steve Denning

  • lszyrmer
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 18, 2012
      Kurt,

      There are two rather big reasons:
      1. Because product lifecycles in most industries are shrinking, and agile techniques help companies respond much more effectively. Management, including project management, doesn't function in a vacuum. Marketing and what customers actually want is what drives sales which keeps companies going. Finance helps make sure that the company is making money. While agile seems focussed on producing software, it's more about getting cross functional involvement and open communication to produce great products quickly.
      2. Software is embedded in many non-software businesses, so the economics of software creation affects most of them. For example, a vet doesn't care how his software is made, but his business can be significantly improved if the software running his practice has relevant features he requested, and it works well. It's just become so transparent and ubiquitous that it's easy to forget how business looked, even in the 80s before the Internet. (Library "card catalogs" used to be everywhere). The people (Goldratt, Ohno) you cited were primarily from a manufacturing background, which is important, but rapidly becoming a much smaller part of the global economy.

      I guess what I'm saying is that software within a business underlies its competitive advantage, so an executive (ourside of software) will be more effective he/she really understands the agile angle. By this I mean not only the values but also the various framework tools, e.g. embedded real options.

      Luke