Re: Scrum Extension Proposal - Planning Card Game

  • kateterlecka
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 16, 2012
      Good Evening Gentlemen,

      first I wanted to appologize for my abscence for such a long time. There have been some difficulties Yahoo support did not address at all, so along with David and Alex we found a different way out.

      I appreciate all feddback - especially the meritorical one, that Laurent gave most of and we have had some e-mail exchange of outside of the list, because of those tech problems. Let me address some issues raised here.

      Before I begin, I would like to clear my intentions - I wanted this extension (or other name you'd like to call it) to bring lots of Planning Card Game ideas into one place. Some people use it with absolute values, some with relative, some use a question mark, some use a bomb. I wanted to pull all of those correct and making sense variations to one place. The problem with this game is that I have - not once - seen a team that is laying two or three cards on the table and flipping them says "Three plus eight, this will be an eleven" or a Scrum Master forbidding the team to alter an estimate once written on an item. I would especially appreciate feedback on aspects I have omitted.

      Most important thing - James Grenning. I did fail to mention him, this is my mistake. I will update it in the new and corrected version. I have to admit that I was one of the people that for a long time believed that Mike Cohn invented the technique.

      Second, that appeared few times - the name. Why didn't I use the name Planning Poker? Because it's trademarked to Mike Cohn and I didn't want to risk getting in his way.

      There have also been some comments on the sources. I admit I did some wiki & google surfing for some of the statements. I am planning on getting to the psychology faculty's academic library soon to find books I was using when writing my papers when I was still in school and they have supported especially the understimation statements. If someone does know some additional research I would appreciate it very much.

      Kate Terlecka

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "davidmstarr" <david@...> wrote:

      > This thread is the community conversation thread for a proposal to
      > extend Scrum, Planning Card Game.
      > Read the proposed extension here
      > <http://www.scrum.org/storage/scrumguides/extension/Planning%20Card%20Ga\
      > me.pdf> .
      > As you may know, Scrum.org hosts the Scrum Guide, which defines the
      > Scrum framework. Scrum Extensions are prescriptive guidance that goes
      > beyond the Scrum framework to offer suggestions for how Scrum Teams can
      > improve their practice within specific contexts.
      > Scrum Extensions are authored and submitted by Scrum practitioners and
      > published for consideration by the Scrum community in an open forum.
      > Anyone may propose an extension.Please provide the extension author with
      > feedback via this thread, or directly via email. All conversation is
      > encouraged to occur in public and in the open. We all want the vetting
      > process for Scrum Extensions to be transparent.

    • Jonathan
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 11, 2012
        Hi,

        Having read the proposal I would like more information on how the estimates are baselined. In previous projects we have used relative estimation and assumed that 5 represents the effort for a medium sized feature but I have also heard that others use 1 for a small feature. From my POV it seems more logical to use 5 as you can take a view on things smaller and larger whereas 1 the only was is up.

        My felling is that the better the team's baseline then the better the estimation, and once chosen it would be hard to re-baseline - if that is even a word :)

        Regards,

        Jon