Re: [scrumdevelopment] Boy Scout Rule

  • Douglas D. Lara
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 14, 2012

      Hi, this mention was made by Robert Martin in his book "Clean Code". One of the best software craftsmanship books out there imo. If you're not a developer, you should encourage every coder you know (not just the ones that work with you) to get a copy!

      Regards,
      Douglas.

      On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

      Hi Charles,

      On 14 Apr 2012, at 01:30, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I wrote:

      > I've heard people say that the boy scout rule was essentially this:
      > 1. "Leave the campground as good or better than you found it"
      > and I've also heard them say
      > 2. "Leave the campground better than you found it"

      Although there are more modern reinterpretations - this is from Bayden Powell's original "Scouting for Boys":

      <quote>
      Cleaning Camp Ground

      Never forget that the state of an old camp ground, after the camp has finished, tells exactly whether the Patrol or Troop which has used it was a smart one or not. No Scouts who are any good ever leave a camp ground dirty.

      They sweep up and bury or burn every scrap of rubbish. Farmers then don't have the trouble of having to clean their ground after you leave, and they are, therefore, all the more willing to let you use it again.

      It is a big disgrace for any Troop or Patrol or lone camper to leave the camp ground dirty and untidy.

      Remember the only two things you leave behind you on breaking up camp:

      1. Nothing
      2. Your thanks to the owner of the ground
      </quote>

      Cheers,

      Adrian

      Douglas D. Lara
      douglas.lara@...
    • Steve Ropa
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8 3:16 PM

        Don’t forget to follow it up with Clean Coders.  The two books together should be required reading for anyone who wants to practice the craft of programming.