Re: [scrumdevelopment] Sprint review - Too late to influence Product Backlog?

  • bb-gmail
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 29 3:24 PM
      Hi Matt,

      A change in sprint review attendees may help. The sprint review is a means for Scrum Teams and stakeholders to identify and initiate change but doesn't mean change will occur. When we first started Scrum, we didn't get a whole lot of inspiration out of the reviews but once we started inviting sales, marketing, and support, the people who  interact with actual customers the most, we began getting a host of new ideas and suggestions for improvements during the reviews. Our problem was that the Product Owner sometimes represented very few or only one customer whereas sales, marketing, and support represent both existing and potentially new customers; a much wider field.

      On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM, mattspottiswoode <mspottiswoode@...> wrote:

      I have seen great results from the introduction of Scrum into my organisation but one area that I would like feedback on is the Sprint review.
      The demonstration of the product and review of what has been done are all sitting well however another intention of the review is to collaborate on what to do next which might result in changes to the backlog. This is supposed to feed into the subsequent sprint planning.

      To be honest by the time we get to the review Product Owners have already worked on preparing candidate stories for the next sprint which feed into sprint planning. I can see why it is important to inspect the work done to influence where to go next but our experiences have been that the review has not changed the direction we go for the next sprint. Are we missing something? How is it working for others?

      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2012
        Matt,

        Have you never, not once, had someone in the Sprint Review make a suggesting that got implemented in the following Sprint?  Not even a UI change or other cosmetic change of any kind?

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

        I have seen great results from the introduction of Scrum into my organisation but one area that I would like feedback on is the Sprint review.
        The demonstration of the product and review of what has been done are all sitting well however another intention of the review is to collaborate on what to do next which might result in changes to the backlog. This is supposed to feed into the subsequent sprint planning.

        To be honest by the time we get to the review Product Owners have already worked on preparing candidate stories for the next sprint which feed into sprint planning. I can see why it is important to inspect the work done to influence where to go next but our experiences have been that the review has not changed the direction we go for the next sprint. Are we missing something? How is it working for others?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Humair quadri
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2012
          hi Matt

          it seems to me that your plans from product owners are either too good or too rigid, that sprint review is not at all adding any value.

          i am interested  to  know, how they achieve such a perfect Backlog.
          How much time your team spent in pre- planning meetings?

          Regards,
          Humair CSM

          -- Sent from my mobile device --

          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2012
            Hi Matt,

            My first post seems to have gotten lost so I try again.

            A change in sprint review attendees may help. The sprint review is a means for Scrum Teams and stakeholders to identify and initiate change in the next sprint but doesn't mean change will occur. When we first started Scrum, we didn't get a whole lot of inspiration out of the reviews but once we started inviting sales, marketing, and support, the people who interact with actual customers the most, we began getting a host of new ideas and suggestions for improvements during the reviews. Our problem was that the Product Owner sometimes represented very few or only one customer whereas sales, marketing, and support represent both existing and potentially new customers; a much wider field.

            Bob Boyd
            http://implementingagile.blogspot.com/