Sprint review - Too late to influence Product Backlog?

  • mattspottiswoode
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 29, 2012
      I have seen great results from the introduction of Scrum into my organisation but one area that I would like feedback on is the Sprint review.
      The demonstration of the product and review of what has been done are all sitting well however another intention of the review is to collaborate on what to do next which might result in changes to the backlog. This is supposed to feed into the subsequent sprint planning.

      To be honest by the time we get to the review Product Owners have already worked on preparing candidate stories for the next sprint which feed into sprint planning. I can see why it is important to inspect the work done to influence where to go next but our experiences have been that the review has not changed the direction we go for the next sprint. Are we missing something? How is it working for others?
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 29, 2012
        Hi Matt

        I believe the original intention of the review is as you say - 'What did we do?, What didn't we do?, What are we going to do next?'.

        However, experience showed that waiting for the review to discuss 'What are we going to do next?' was problematical because of the time that people had to take to break down some of the larger PBI.

        That was when 'Backlog Grooming' came along (which is what you are doing)

        Given that there are wider stakeholders at the review than those that have been involved in the Backlog Grooming, I still think it is a good idea to 'present' what we plan to do next as a communication exercise and to take the opportunity to 'prompt' those stakeholders to tell us of any changes in their world that are relevant that may mean we should change our mind about what to do next.

        Hope that helps

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 29, 2012
          That's great and reinforces the approach we have moved towards. In reality this means that our reviews are quite short (less than an hour), which seems suitable for us, but I wondered if we were missing something important.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve@...> wrote:

          > Hi Matt
          >
          > I believe the original intention of the review is as you say - 'What did we do?, What didn't we do?, What are we going to do next?'.
          >
          > However, experience showed that waiting for the review to discuss 'What are we going to do next?' was problematical because of the time that people had to take to break down some of the larger PBI.
          >
          > That was when 'Backlog Grooming' came along (which is what you are doing)
          >
          > Given that there are wider stakeholders at the review than those that have been involved in the Backlog Grooming, I still think it is a good idea to 'present' what we plan to do next as a communication exercise and to take the opportunity to 'prompt' those stakeholders to tell us of any changes in their world that are relevant that may mean we should change our mind about what to do next.
          >
          > Hope that helps
          >
          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mattspottiswoode" <mspottiswoode@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have seen great results from the introduction of Scrum into my organisation but one area that I would like feedback on is the Sprint review.
          > > The demonstration of the product and review of what has been done are all sitting well however another intention of the review is to collaborate on what to do next which might result in changes to the backlog. This is supposed to feed into the subsequent sprint planning.
          > >
          > > To be honest by the time we get to the review Product Owners have already worked on preparing candidate stories for the next sprint which feed into sprint planning. I can see why it is important to inspect the work done to influence where to go next but our experiences have been that the review has not changed the direction we go for the next sprint. Are we missing something? How is it working for others?

        • Bret Wortman
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 29, 2012
            Not in my experience. But always be looking for opportunities to ask questions whose answers can affect product direction, backlog composition, and the team's process.

            Bret

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 29, 2012
              Are you happy that the relevant stakeholders are invited (and attend) the review?

              Do you demo what has been developed?

              Do you discuss what was not done of the PBI that was planned for the Sprint?

              Do you ask if anything important has changed in the stakeholders' 'world'?

              Do you 'outline' what is going to happen next?

              Do you explain any changes that have happened to the PB and any effects on the Product Roadmap?

              If the answer to all these questions is 'Yes', then you are not missing anything.

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mattspottiswoode" <mspottiswoode@...> wrote:

              > That's great and reinforces the approach we have moved towards. In reality this means that our reviews are quite short (less than an hour), which seems suitable for us, but I wondered if we were missing something important.
              >
              > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Matt
              > >
              > > I believe the original intention of the review is as you say - 'What did we do?, What didn't we do?, What are we going to do next?'.
              > >
              > > However, experience showed that waiting for the review to discuss 'What are we going to do next?' was problematical because of the time that people had to take to break down some of the larger PBI.
              > >
              > > That was when 'Backlog Grooming' came along (which is what you are doing)
              > >
              > > Given that there are wider stakeholders at the review than those that have been involved in the Backlog Grooming, I still think it is a good idea to 'present' what we plan to do next as a communication exercise and to take the opportunity to 'prompt' those stakeholders to tell us of any changes in their world that are relevant that may mean we should change our mind about what to do next.
              > >
              > > Hope that helps
              > >
              > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mattspottiswoode" <mspottiswoode@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have seen great results from the introduction of Scrum into my organisation but one area that I would like feedback on is the Sprint review.
              > > > The demonstration of the product and review of what has been done are all sitting well however another intention of the review is to collaborate on what to do next which might result in changes to the backlog. This is supposed to feed into the subsequent sprint planning.
              > > >
              > > > To be honest by the time we get to the review Product Owners have already worked on preparing candidate stories for the next sprint which feed into sprint planning. I can see why it is important to inspect the work done to influence where to go next but our experiences have been that the review has not changed the direction we go for the next sprint. Are we missing something? How is it working for others?

            • RonJeffries
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 29, 2012
                Matt ...

                On Apr 29, 2012, at 7:08 AM, mattspottiswoode wrote:

                That's great and reinforces the approach we have moved towards. In reality this means that our reviews are quite short (less than an hour), which seems suitable for us, but I wondered if we were missing something important.

                It seems to me that just having seen a demo, attendees are in a perfect position to muse about what the product could be, what they like about it, what they don't like about it. It might be too late for the current Sprint, or it might not. But in any case, why throw away the ideas? Why not capture them?

                Yin and Yang I figure.
                  -- Tom Jeffries

              • bb-gmail
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 29, 2012
                  Hi Matt,

                  A change in sprint review attendees may help. The sprint review is a means for Scrum Teams and stakeholders to identify and initiate change but doesn't mean change will occur. When we first started Scrum, we didn't get a whole lot of inspiration out of the reviews but once we started inviting sales, marketing, and support, the people who  interact with actual customers the most, we began getting a host of new ideas and suggestions for improvements during the reviews. Our problem was that the Product Owner sometimes represented very few or only one customer whereas sales, marketing, and support represent both existing and potentially new customers; a much wider field.

                  On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM, mattspottiswoode <mspottiswoode@...> wrote:

                  I have seen great results from the introduction of Scrum into my organisation but one area that I would like feedback on is the Sprint review.
                  The demonstration of the product and review of what has been done are all sitting well however another intention of the review is to collaborate on what to do next which might result in changes to the backlog. This is supposed to feed into the subsequent sprint planning.

                  To be honest by the time we get to the review Product Owners have already worked on preparing candidate stories for the next sprint which feed into sprint planning. I can see why it is important to inspect the work done to influence where to go next but our experiences have been that the review has not changed the direction we go for the next sprint. Are we missing something? How is it working for others?

                • Roman Pichler
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30, 2012
                    Hi Matt,

                    You may find my latest blog post helpful:

                    http://www.romanpichler.com/blog/product-backlog/when-should-product-backlog-grooming-take-place/

                    Roman

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 1, 2012
                      Matt,

                      Have you never, not once, had someone in the Sprint Review make a suggesting that got implemented in the following Sprint?  Not even a UI change or other cosmetic change of any kind?

                      -------
                      Charles Bradley
                      http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

                      I have seen great results from the introduction of Scrum into my organisation but one area that I would like feedback on is the Sprint review.
                      The demonstration of the product and review of what has been done are all sitting well however another intention of the review is to collaborate on what to do next which might result in changes to the backlog. This is supposed to feed into the subsequent sprint planning.

                      To be honest by the time we get to the review Product Owners have already worked on preparing candidate stories for the next sprint which feed into sprint planning. I can see why it is important to inspect the work done to influence where to go next but our experiences have been that the review has not changed the direction we go for the next sprint. Are we missing something? How is it working for others?

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Humair quadri
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 1, 2012
                        hi Matt

                        it seems to me that your plans from product owners are either too good or too rigid, that sprint review is not at all adding any value.

                        i am interested  to  know, how they achieve such a perfect Backlog.
                        How much time your team spent in pre- planning meetings?

                        Regards,
                        Humair CSM

                        -- Sent from my mobile device --

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 2, 2012
                          Hi Matt,

                          My first post seems to have gotten lost so I try again.

                          A change in sprint review attendees may help. The sprint review is a means for Scrum Teams and stakeholders to identify and initiate change in the next sprint but doesn't mean change will occur. When we first started Scrum, we didn't get a whole lot of inspiration out of the reviews but once we started inviting sales, marketing, and support, the people who interact with actual customers the most, we began getting a host of new ideas and suggestions for improvements during the reviews. Our problem was that the Product Owner sometimes represented very few or only one customer whereas sales, marketing, and support represent both existing and potentially new customers; a much wider field.

                          Bob Boyd
                          http://implementingagile.blogspot.com/