Re: [scrumdevelopment] Integration Scrum - Scrum Extension Proposed

  • Bret Wortman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2012
      I'm not sure what Scrum.org is trying to accomplish here that can't be accomplished by most CSM courses or a simple Google search -- either of these options will lead to some discussion of scaling Scrum up for larger projects without becoming needlessly prescriptive. I'd hate to see Scrum bloat as it consumed all these great practices that are out there. I'd rather see it continue to embrace and allow those practices while remaining agnostic to them. Incorporating a particular method for scalability, or for estimation, only limits the ability of the framework to respond later when something different, possibly better, comes along.

      This extension process smells like change for the sake of change to me. Until or unless someone chimes in with a reason why these extra practices should become part and parcel of Scrum itself, I can't support them in good consicence. In a way, codification makes them anti-agile....

      Bret Wortman

      On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM, davidmstarr <david@...> wrote:

      This thread is the community conversation thread for a proposal to extend Scrum, the Integration Scrum.

      As you may know, Scrum.org hosts the Scrum Guide, which defines the Scrum framework. Scrum Extensions are prescriptive guidance that goes beyond the Scrum framework to offer suggestions for how Scrum Teams can improve their practice within specific contexts.

      Scrum Extensions are authored and submitted by Scrum practitioners and published for consideration by the Scrum community in an open forum. Anyone may propose an extension.
      Please provide the extension author with feedback via this thread, or directly via email. All conversation is encouraged to occur in public and in the open.  We all want the vetting process for Scrum Extensions to be transparent.